Cooking Calendar Spreads

Discussion in 'Options' started by rocky_raccoon, Aug 29, 2012.

1. i knew you weren't talking about me.. i'm just pissed about consistantly losing money...hence the word fuck seperating every word i wrote haha.. i think some people don't get what you say cause your short with some of your responses plus its got a little trader lingo in it.. fuck them all.. they aren't paying you anwayy.. seems like you either get kiss ass fucks or people hating on ya.. haha

#41     Aug 31, 2012
  2. I'll send you some stuff for next week. Paper trade it or ignore it.

#42     Aug 31, 2012
  3. hedgeman

hedgeman

Again, with all the worthless and senseless posts, he smells my shit and looks at me like I am just out of highschool and trading my first $100. Don't give me theory, try trading with money.

Proprietary, yes, try doing your own work!

So all trades should be posted? So you have the exact same trade as me because you cannot think for yourself? You know this is not reality.

So, after the bell, a few more of my Sept put back ratios were closed, what are you going to do with that info? Did you know I put that trade in hours ago? Is that actionable?

#43     Aug 31, 2012
  4. hedgeman

hedgeman

I'd go with the paper trading, LOL!

You like losing? I offered to send you an example of what I trade but you declined for whatever reason but if you like to continue to lose, there's always Mr Atticus.

#44     Aug 31, 2012
  5. I'll definitely look at it... these flys on apple that don't have wide wings have to be closed quick when in profit. That's my lessoni paid 330 for this week.
    Wider wings puts the fly to large of a position for my account size.. aapl expiration trades have made sense going back more on the weeklys where heavy trading super seeds closing.options trades..

Currently I'm trading flys ratio back spreads and futures Calender spreads directly in the futures.. I'm trading a 9k IB account for a friend that wants to put more money in... I have a 12k account with ib that's locked up for PDT till Nov in which I'm trading vix futures and then I have the 4.5k tos account in my name as well

#45     Aug 31, 2012
  6. Ahh, you're in comms due to PDT. I think you can request a reset but you've probably already done that. I'll send you some basic entry strats based upon trading the close and you can avoid PDT that way.

Trade wider flies with less size. Your vega increases (with width) and you can get more exposure with less contracts. Adding width converges to the straddle risk. A narrow fly has nil exposure anyway, so looking for a pin of neutrality is usually a prayer. Trade them on a swing basis, entering on the close. Calendars need vol but no movement. So people ratio them OTM, lose the vegas and get beat up on gamma. If you don't like the calendar at 1:1 then don't trade it. With your stake you can't afford the req on the naked shorts anyway.

#46     Aug 31, 2012
  7. Wow, so much fighting going on here. Take it easy, guys. Let's get back to the technicals.

Adjustments - I have a rule of never averaging down or hedging a losing trade. If it's losing more than a certain amount - close it. There will be time for another trade.
    A winning position is a different matter. There may be a reason for subsequent trades. In calendar's case it would be rolling a short leg for another month if there is more than one month between short and long leg.
    Another adjustment that I like is taking profit on a wining position and opening a similar one later.

"Calendars are extremely difficult, complex, risky, etc." - I don't get this. What's so complex about a bell-shaped P/L graph that goes to a tent-shaped as the time goes by? It is long theta & vega while short gamma. Delta could be neutral but a little negative bias would work better. If the position is opened when IV is low then vega most likely works in our favor. The primary risk is short gamma and that is the part I am trying to assess to size the position appropriately.

My main question essentially is:
    Do calendars have a statistical edge (probability of win * size of win > probability of loss * size of loss)? under the right conditions? Low IV is one of them but what else?

#47     Aug 31, 2012
  8. Perfect hedge man send me your trade and I'll see how well thought out it is.. what the risks are... don't be a pussy .. Im the only one I know amongst all my friends that ever puts his money where his mouth is... let's go... send me your trade I wanna see it.. I'm not bias towards anyone except my losing self lately haha.

#48     Aug 31, 2012
  9. You can't just say.. are calendars good. They are only as good as your direction and

Volatility forcast
    [

QUOTE]Quote from rocky_raccoon:

Wow, so much fighting going on here. Take it easy, guys. Let's get back to the technicals.

Adjustments - I have a rule of never averaging down or hedging a losing trade. If it's losing more than a certain amount - close it. There will be time for another trade.
    A winning position is a different matter. There may be a reason for subsequent trades. In calendar's case it would be rolling a short leg for another month if there is more than one month between short and long leg.
    Another adjustment that I like is taking profit on a wining position and opening a similar one later.

"Calendars are extremely difficult, complex, risky, etc." - I don't get this. What's so complex about a bell-shaped P/L graph that goes to a tent-shaped as the time goes by? It is long theta & vega while short gamma. Delta could be neutral but a little negative bias would work better. If the position is opened when IV is low then vega most likely works in our favor. The primary risk is short gamma and that is the part I am trying to assess to size the position appropriately.

My main question essentially is:
    Do calendars have a statistical edge (probability of win * size of win > probability of loss * size of loss)? under the right conditions? Low IV is one of them but what else?
    [/QUOTE]

#49     Aug 31, 2012
  10. hedgeman

hedgeman

Uhmmm, definitely not a pussy!

You're email is blocked on your profile page. Send me a PM.

#50     Aug 31, 2012