cookies folder hidden/no access

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by eastside, Nov 28, 2006.

1. My cookies folder is hidden/invisible, and because of this I can not access any websites which require cookies to be enabled.
    For example my yahoo mail will not allow me to access my inbox. When I login, it re-displays the same page & does not go to the inbox.
    If I go to explorer I cannot see the cookies folder, but if I try to create another one it says it already exists.
    Then if I go to a DOS command prompt I cannot see the cookies folder, but I can navigate to it & see the cookie files.
    I checked the cookies setting in the tools menu & it is set to the default setting. I think the cookies folder is supposed to be re-created on startup, but something is stopping it. It could be a virus, but I ran mcafee, spybot, & adaware & cleaned everything they found which was basically just cookies, no viruses.
    I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions on what else to check. Thank you.

2. Sounds like you accidentally enable either in your browser or via your Anti-Virus Program to turn off the allowed cookies setting in your Internet Options.

For example, in Internet Explorer (IE)...go to the menu called Tools and then to the menu called Internet Options then to Privacy.

Your cookie settings is located there.

If everything seems ok...then it could be your Anti-Virus Program setup to block cookies at the extreme setting.

Manually change that to a setting that blocks third party cookies and not to block ALL COOKIES.

Simply, I don't think this has anything to do with your folder being hidden because my cookie folders are hidden/invisible and I don't have any problems accessing my Yahoo or any other website that requires me computer to enable its cookies so I can use their website.

By the way, I had the same problem until I changed a setting in my Norton Internet Security program.

Mark

3. Thank you for the reply. I checked the cookie settings in the tools menu on both the privacy tab & security tab & they are set OK, but the problem is not fixed. I could not find any cookie settings on McAfee, so I am going to try to uninstall & reinstall to see if that fixes it.