converting/editing VHS --> DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magna, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Tums

Tums

The DVR-HD does not do editing. It is only a recorder.

Forget about doing editing in real time (i.e. editing while you are converting/recording.) It is simply not done that way.

You have to convert each VHS into video files, either in WMV, MPEG, QT, or whatever format. Then do the editing on those video files.

Video editing software is easy to find. There are a number of them available for free download off the net.

have fun !

#11     Sep 13, 2006
  2. Hi Magna,

I do a ton of video editing.

I have Adobe Production Studio software, Pinnacle hardware and software, CT-2 GoDVD hardware and software, DVD Recorder with HD and a HP Media Center Desktop computer.

Stuff I've either purchased or given to me as gifts.

I also have (came with the laptop) Muvee AutoProducer but haven't tried it just yet.

http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4835,00.asp

If your doing straight copying (no transitions, no voice overs and no special affects)...

Get either a DVD Recorder with HD or a cheap inexpensive gadget like CT-2 GoDVD or the like.

DVD Recorder with HD is the obvious fastest route and very useful if your doing a lot of VHS to DVD conversion.

Try to get one with a combo VHS built in with it.

Be advised if you wait a year or two...DVD Recorders with HD (combo with VCR) will come down substantially in price.

If you want to do professional type video editing after transfering from VHS to your computer's hard drive...

Be prepared to spend more than $500 bucks.

Anything less is strictly for fun stuff while knowing your going to lose a little picture quality (depending upon the format you save it in) in the transfer and/or editing.

Another option is to get a Windows XP Media center computer that allows TV-in or Analog-in and play your VHS as normal on the TV but use your computer to copy what's playing on the TV.

I recommend getting a second TV if you plan on doing serious recording or editing on your Media Center computer to prevent disturbing the family use of the main TV :)

By the way, as you notice...video that's been edited in Windows Movie Maker is just not acceptable (poor results).

Just remember the cheap editing software may produce results acceptable for viewing on your computer but the quality sucks when viewing the same DVD on a TV.

Last of all, I personally prefer the Windows XP Media Center route and then I use my Adobe to edit my VHS video that has been transfered to my computer.

Really comes down to what your willing to pay for and what your trying to do with the VHS after its been transfered to a Hard Drive.

(Adobe Studio has a steep learning curve).

I just had a guy offer me $1,500 to do his wedding after he saw one of my video projects.

Mark

#12     Sep 13, 2006