Controversy erupts over Campus Republicans bake sale plans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Sep 26, 2011.

1. I find it difficult to argue with the reasoning behind this...

Campus Republicans at the University of California Berkeley have cooked up a storm of controversy with their plans for a bake sale.
    But it's not your everyday collegiate fundraiser they've got in mind. They've developed a sliding scale where the price of the cookie or brownie depends on your gender and the color of your skin.

During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2.00, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1.00, black men for $0.75 and Native American men for $0.25. All women will get $0.25 off those prices.

"The pricing structure is there to bring attention, to cause people to get a little upset," Campus Republican President Shawn Lewis, who planned the event, told CNN-affiliate KGO. "But it's really there to cause people to think more critically about what this kind of policy would do in university admissions."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/25/us/california-racial-bake-sale/index.html

2. Fantastic!

3. During the sale, scheduled for Tuesday, baked goods will be sold to white men for $2.00, Asian men for $1.50, Latino men for $1.00, black men for $0.75 and Native American men for $0.25. All women will get $0.25 off those prices.

-----------------------

Great idea, let's take this one step further. Let's see if they can pull off the bake sale without white people. No white staff and no white customers. Let the Asians get pissed at the Latino's, Native American are equal to women, so on and so forth.

4. pspr

pspr

This was done somewhere else a couple months ago. I don't recall where it was.

5. So with these prices, if I were a Native American woman, I can get my brownies and cakes for free? I wonder if there's a limit to how many can be purchased.

6. Ricter

Ricter

Not good enough. The "whites" need to start with the largest bank accounts, and the other colors with proportionately (determined by the proportions set by the prices) smaller accounts. After the first round of cookie sales, the bakers need to buy something from the customers (to circulate the cash), but do it proportionately, ie. the "whites" sell a higher value good. How will the accounts look in a thousand iterations?

7. I don't know but I'm off to find me a willing squaw and get me some free baked goods :)

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So white are born with large(r) bank accounts? Or did they work to get those?

9. Ricter

Ricter

If everyone is born into similar socioeconomic circumstances then I see your point.

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So no one worked hard for what they have, is that it?

#10     Sep 26, 2011