Controlling mood swings (P&L induced)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by futures_shark, May 1, 2004.

1. the money you are trading must mean to much to you. get rid of the value of the money you are trading and you will start to lose your fear that causes the wide emotion ranges. its hard to do but you have to develop an attitude that "you just don't care about this money".

#11     May 1, 2004
  2. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I'm no doctor, but I believe that you need to confront other issues in your life. These issues are certainly affecting your trading, and your trading will not improve until you confront and manage personal issues.

You will never be able to remove emotions from the equation, the only you can do is learn how to manage them (ask any "seasoned" trader, I'm sure they'll agree). Use this equation... 10 x 1= 10, now change the equation...10 x 1 x .5= 5 or 10 x 1 x 0= 0. Lessen or eliminate the result of the equation :)

If you can't eliminate a part of the equation, add to it!

My colleague, Osman was "dead on" and I couldn't be more succinct. Focus less on profitable trades, and put more focus on trading properly, you'll be amazed with the results.

Hang in there "Shark"...one day and one trade at a time!

#12     May 1, 2004
  3. YYYou mean...You mean, trading is wwwwork? You mean that the rush that the gambling gives is not trading? oh no!

Michael B.

#13     May 2, 2004
  4. RAMOUTAR

RAMOUTAR

I think you got it, Michael. :) :eek:

#14     May 2, 2004
  5. ramora

ramora

I was listening to Charlie Osgood on the radio today and he had a short segment on:
    ===============
    Good nutrition reduces violence

Presenter: John McNamara

Thursday, 6 February 2003

A study in the United Kingdom has shown that good nutrition reduces violent behaviour in young offenders. The results were so dramatic the study has been extended to several prisons in the UK.

The study, led by physiologist Bernard Gesch from Oxford University, was conducted in a prison in Aylesbury suggested raising the levels of vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids in the diet of teenage prisoners reduced anti-social behaviour.

The offenders were between 18 and 21 years of age, and committed 26% fewer disciplinary offences than those who unknowingly took placebo pills.

Dr Gesch says the new study will widen the age group and that he is talking to the Home Office in Britain and groups in the United States about using the results of his research to reduce crime.
    ============ www.abc.net.au
    If vitamins can reduce violence in prisons, then they may help reduce mood swings in traders. This is a connection I have not seen before...

Gotta-take my One-A-Day....

Good luck,

#15     May 2, 2004
  6. I hear lithium is goos for this.

There are several good antidepressants that have the same effect because they also control anxiety.

My personal favorite , however, is a handful of Xanax and a six-pack of beer. That leads to the "new math"--i.e. 1+1=6

#16     May 2, 2004
  7. have you tried hypnosis? several trading coaches recommend this for behavior changes..

i am a very moody person and i find that going for a workout or a jog each day really helps keep me in balance.. also, i have to be careful to get enough sleep because im naturally a night person..

-qwik

#17     May 2, 2004
  8. funky

funky

mary jane :D

#18     May 2, 2004
  9. Very nice. Balance is definately one of the keys, and having a found a way to find that sets you way ahead of the crowd.

As for the hypnosis - definatley an excellent way to go, but you have to be open to that sort of thing -

On a practical basis, the simplist way to avoid these swings is to drop your size right down to where you no longer get angry or upset. Job done

#19     May 4, 2004
  10. Trade smaller. Mood swings correlate with % of equity fluctuation.

#20     May 4, 2004