Controlling hyperinflation?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by stockreaper, Jan 25, 2012.

1. This is my first post. I am not an economist. I am just an enthusiast .....so I request the experts not to take offense if my question is rubbish Smile

The topic of hyperinflation has been bugging me for a while now. My question is, once inflation sets up on the upward spiral, can one control it? Beyond what point the situation is reparable and after which the economics is sure to collapse? The answers could be non realistic and impractical as well.

2. morganist

morganist Guest

There is usually a reason for hyper inflation namely paying off debt. There is not really much they can do to stop it because it is not from the usual causes so conventional action like an interest rate rise would not be much use. So to answer your question there is not really much they can do.

3. So even if the government had all the powers in the world and the hyperinflation would still be uncontrollable? No hypothetical solutions as well? I am just probing this a bit :)

4. And please let me ask another question here as well.... if its not against the forum rules.....but its still related to hyperinflation......

How can one figure out that hyperinflation is going to set it? Is it indispensable at some point in time (maybe a century later?)? Will Greece face hyperinflation soon? Can anyone predict right now?