Contrarian/ Buying the lows

Discussion in 'Journals' started by arturo100, Jun 3, 2019.

1. I am buying these days lows, with expirations ranging from few weeks to few months. As you can imagine, this strategy is killing me! One of the things I am clearly missing is some PUT coverage. Among the most shorted underlyings in this time frame I see the following:

AAPL
    FB
    QQQ
    BRK.B
    NFLX
    PFE
    CSCO
    WDAY
    XLE
    LULU
    XLI
    IWM
    AMZN
    OKTA
    XLNX
    NVDA
    GOOGL
    LYFT

Would you recommend anything among these underlying? Or, may be, some new one?
    Thanks in advance.
    Arturo

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Contrarian strategies are better when you do not get in all at once. You will never just pick the bottom or top on day 1. You should also not go all in with your entire account as these will all be corrected to the QQQ on your list. Hedging is up to you. That would make more sense if you picked just stocks and bought puts in one of those indexes. Or, swapped buying stocks for vertical call spreads in each to limit your losses to the premium you buy-if that fits your trading.

3. maxinger

maxinger

OK to trade reversal up signal.

But counter trend trading aka kamikazae trading is not acceptable.

Sometimes distinction between these are very clear, sometimes not clear.

trader99 and qlai like this.
  4. Thanks, Bob. I always like your thoughtful and competent answers.
    I agree with you.I am investing roughly 1-2% of the trading capital I allocated for crazy things like this. I am expecting the market to correct itself in a few weeks for each transaction I make. But things are tougher than I thought. I mean am still reasonably doing well with transactions like, say, K and DKS, where I bought the low and got some kind of rebound (Call 52.5 and Call 34), but instead I got completely wiped out on CTRP where I entered too early and the stock is still falling (Call 37). The expiration of these calls is on June 21, but I might sell earlier profitable positions, especially if don't manage to come up with any reasonable hedging. Once MSFT options used to be a great hedger, I mean low-delta, high-OI, high leverage and so forth. May be I should look into them...

P.S. My system is just underlining the pre.market fall of CNC (-9%). It advices to follow it for a possible rebound, since it was on the long list of several people...let see wht's happens

5. Absolutely. You must absolute wait for some kind of reversal signal, otherwise you are catching a falling knife.

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Good luck, overall I have rarely made money fighting the trend and do better staying with it.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. maxinger

maxinger

catching reversal signal is very important.
    almost half of my signals are reversal signals.

as mentioned, distinction between counter trending trading and reversal could be very clear, or very blurr.

counter trend kamikazae trading - catching falling knife with bare hand.
    smart reversal trading - catch change of trend with firm iron glove.

so if you want to be successful trader, better know how to
    catch continuation signal, reversal signal, and don't do
    kamikazae counter trend trading.

There are quite a few counter trend traders in this forum.
    success rate wouldn't be very encouraging.
    You can't bring home the bacon doing such thing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. You might be in for a rude awakening even if those stocks bottom out. Volatility is quite high in a few of those names and the money you make on delta you will lose in vega. Buying calls in this environment is nuts for anyone other than the kind of Buffett who has an incredible power in signaling. We have not even passed the largest down moves yet.

9. lindq

lindq

No wonder. You're simply trying to do the wrong thing in the wrong market.

A trending market can cover your mistakes and pull you out of hot water. But this is not a trending market, and impossible to consistently place winning bets weeks or months out.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    ElCubano and ironchef like this.
  10. smallfil

smallfil

When following the trend is much easier, why gamble? A stock that reverses will show you, it is headed back up. Short rallies to the upside, in a downtrend is not a reversal!

#10     Jun 3, 2019
    murray t turtle and trader99 like this.