Contemplating my Life and I need help

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lasner, May 13, 2008.

1. Accounting is a good major. There are plenty of jobs for accountant and it align with the objective for getting an MBA. (something to fall back on)

#11     May 14, 2008
  2. PCC75

PCC75

OP - i was recently in a similar situation... id say you gotta go with what you really want to do... at least give it an effort and see.... FWIW my story is i'm currently in my early 30's with a good career going in the consulting space (fin'l risk mgmt for corps) but not happy where i'm at/doing... i have known for a few years that i wanted to transition into trading, but there were a few obstacles/events that got in the way (aside from getting a reply from houses).... first (few years back) for a time thought i missed the train/too old for career change...

later on after more thought and continued research/exposure/talking with people i realized how little i knew in the not too distant past, that i wasnt too old, and was absolutely sure i wanted to shift in trading, but reality at the time was if i did i'd be looking at a huge base pay (assuming one came with an offer) cut and my monthly nut was too high (just bought a place, furnishing, etc)... i saw it as a handicap worrying about money when i should be focusing on learning/honing skills so i put it off again...

after more time and thought i sent out resumes and did the whole logic test or whatever you want to call them and did "above, above average" which was an encouraging indication, but obviously just an indication... and FWIW people i get introduced to ask me (if jobs are the topic of discussion) if i'm a trader because of my personality... still, just another indication... anyway, things ultimately didnt work out/didnt get an offer at that house cause i think i screwed up/said too much in the last interview where they got the impression i would rabbit after a year or so under my belt... that was totally not the case...

so getting closer to present day, a little while back i said screw it and opened my own account hoping to put on trades (primarily spreads with multi-day/week expected holding) while keeping my normal job... the problem is either my job gets in the way (hours can get sick for extended periods of time) of keeping up with news/factors, which leads to no/low activity, or i find myself wanting to put on a short term outright position but since i cant watch the screen/my computer consistently through out the day because i still have a day job, i either miss out on what i think (can be wrong or right, obviously) at the time are short lived opportunities, or my stops get triggered AFTER a solid move my way and i missed it... the only value i got out of those experiences is that i realize i prefer short-lived/intraday positions...

so that brings me to the conculsion that i gotta get out of my current job, likely eat a huge (initial only, hopefully) pay cut and start out in a training program (preferably) or take an asst job for X amount of time until i'm deemed worthy of handling my own account... so i made sure i've got liquidity for a considerable amount of time/dont have to worry about a monthly nut... i'm totally dedicated and will keep searching for a chance to earn my keep and wave my own flag because this is really all i want to do... that, and play cards for worhtwhile stakes... i just gotta hope that i get a "hello back" one of these days...

OP i hope this may help you in your pondering... also, if anyone's got any advice i'd appreciate it

take it easy

#12     May 15, 2008
  3. Ever thought of going to a law school and become a defense lawyer?

#13     May 15, 2008
  4. APA

APA

why not become a trader

the old school way

that is charting on your own for 3 years

and making sick money once you learn

did that ever occur to you

your problem I think is your belief that you need a salary to make it

opposite is the true actually

#14     May 15, 2008
  5. Uh-oh. Somewhere in this thread, a prop firm owner is going to pop up or a link to some commercial site. I can just smell it...

#15     May 15, 2008
  6. You are good! You have just deleted the evidence (ET Sponsor). You should be a lawyer, seriously.

#16     May 15, 2008
  7. PCC75

PCC75

thanks for the input... i hear what you're saying and if i had more capital i'd do exactly that... i've familiarized myself with a lot of diff strategies and have a strong idea of what style fits me, but i have not had any formal training/still learning... i figured, and i'm open to commentary on this, i'd save myself some time by joining a reputable house with a formal training program (assuming the house's deal is fair) vs. going on my own... that and i'd prefer working with people, at least that's my prefernce now... i can def see myself working from home down the road...

#17     May 16, 2008