Consumer Sentiment Highest in Four Years

Discussion in 'Economics' started by tradefreak, Apr 26, 2006.

1. They Say:

Consumer Sentiment in April is at its highest in almost four years, driven by an improved labor market.

But Wait:

More People Can't Afford Health Insurance - up from 28%

Forty-one percent of adults with incomes between $20,000 and $40,000 a year did not have health insurance for at least part of 2005, up from 28 percent without coverage in 2001, according to the report by the Commonwealth Fund, a New York-based health care policy foundation.

Hmm...Could someone be tellin a lie...

2. Pabst

Pabst

Intuitively, 41% strikes me as a highball figure. In any case I'd guess many of those are younger, single adults. I was uninsured until I was in my mid-thirties. As a twenty-something it's difficult to imagine a need to be......

3. oh so they sample data from the top 10% wealthy people who control 90% of the cash - figures...

4. Consumer sentiment operates from a contrarian point of view ...

It was at it's lowest (2002-early 03) when things were at their worst, and about to improve...jobs, equities

And now it's at it's highest in 4 yrs when things are at their best, and facing many headwinds...such as the market...etc

Go figure, just my interpretation

5. yep, i'm wrong, i live in the 4th largest city in the US and just down the street sears closed, randalls closed, exxon closed, kroger closed, tons of small business closed - note: this is the most travelled road in this area, very few high paying jobs if any, yet in 2001 - 2003 real estate was cheaper, anyone could get a job in a couple of weeks, gas was cheap, etc, etc...guess they were not including our city.

6. Pabst

Pabst

Completely agree. A freind of mine did a study in the early 90's on what was the most "fadable" data. The Michigan # was the winner.

Today's action in CAKE tells me that even upper middle class consumers are balking at paying $14 for a spinach salad.

7. yes, as in stock market.

8. Consumer sentiment operates in a lagging manner. The stock market leads it higher and lower. Sentiment takes to time to reverse after the market has made major turns.