"consumer joe" is on strike

Discussion in 'Economics' started by andrasnm, Apr 5, 2009.

1. OK. this is not straight economics but let me entertain you this notion. Big Bad business had our politicians by the scrotum for at least 50 years maybe more. The middle class, small business guy was just an inconvenient annoyance. When politicians and "businesspeople" systematically ignore education and ruin the public schools, export the better paying jobs offshore YET decry the local spending and level of consumerism on the business news, this will sound a little confused...
    Now which is it? Is saving and innovation good or ever spending on credit is ? Get this;
    The USA economy was a bubble in itself by creating demand at any cost.
    Stuff that in actual terms NOBODY needs. Forget about the "RE bubble" or the "credit bubble", we have been spending for shit nobody needs. Most of walmart is filled with crap like that...finally the consumer is broke and the few that has jobs said maybe I save some so I will not need to beg or go on welfare next year...
    So the way I see it , the bastards who advertise crap and sell crap and promote crap can go and take a flying leap off the next tallest building. When GM will finally go bankrupt the message will be loud and clear. Globalization (at least the way we did it in the USA - was just a big cluster fuck)

2. It's the sad reality of every working economy, though, that for it to continue it must produce materials that probably no one really needs. It's the human desire for goods beyond the necesseties and it's what keeps the "dollar" actually worth something. One day people will realize that you cannot eat that inked paper, but until then there is plenty of "wealth" to be accumulated. I think though that maybe people are overlooking the fact (particularly when something like 53% of Americans polled think we are headed towards a Great Depression) that less than 10% of the US work force is actually unemployed. Most economists consider 5% unemployment full employment, too.

3. My prediction is unless we find a way to "fly under" the radar, we are in for a hurt of the century....
    I mean people who are dropping out living in trailers, and farming are not the dumbest ones. I mean, I never lived this way or never tried and I am in my fifties but there is something to be said for "simplification" of our needs and life...The old rules are not applicable anymore.....

4. My prediction is unless we find a way to "fly under" the radar, we are in for a hurt of the century....
    I mean people who are dropping out living in trailers, and farming are not the dumbest ones. I mean, I never lived this way or never tried and I am in my fifties but there is something to be said for "simplification" of our needs and life...The old rules are not applicable anymore.....
    [/QUOTE]

What do you mean when you say " I never lived this way or never tried" ?