Consumer Credit – Worse Than You Think

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Banjo, May 12, 2012.

1. morganist

morganist Guest

I don't know. If they have experience yes. But people fresh out of univesity no.

#21     May 13, 2012
  2. sle

sle

I don't. I knew a guy that quit college to open a house renovation business. It was all going well until 2008. He's back to school now, hoping to become an accountant.Risk/reward in most cases it's not favorable to small business owners.

#22     May 13, 2012
  3. sle

sle

I am pretty sure MIT/Columbia/Cornell CS graduates get multiple offers before graduation. In the worst case, they can always go and work for the government, e.g. Citibank :)

PS. Unemployment among people who have passed actuarial exams is virtually zero and they get paid fairly well. Yet we don't see a flood of people learning math.

#23     May 13, 2012
  4. I find this subject interesting.

You hire a professional to tell you who will be a good employee, you end up with a "team" of good employees who produce crap. Your best hope is to replace all of some of them. So much for the test.

Some cos with multiple tests to find out who is a good hire still have high turnover. Pfftttt...

I think tests were designed to prevent cos being fined by the state Unemployment bureau for multiple hire and fires in a short period of time. Your rates go up. The whole system is a crock.

#24     May 13, 2012
  5. What percent of the population can get into these schools ? 1%?

#25     May 13, 2012
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

I don't know the case in America but in the UK my friend who did a degree in computer science had to do a msc because he could not get a job. I did a degree in accounting and finance and most of the people I went to uni with could not get a good job or job at all after they left they got qualifications too.

#26     May 13, 2012
  7. morganist

morganist Guest

I don't think that will matter soon. Even expericence PHD can't get a job.

#27     May 13, 2012
  8. sle

sle

Probably, maybe even less. I would say that out of the whole educational landscape, at most 10% provide you with value. Everything else is just a way to take a few years off after high school.

#28     May 13, 2012
  9. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Watch the "Graduating Into Debt" video found on the left-hand side of the article. See all the art, literature, english, and liberal arts students complaining about their $80,000 in debt and they have been unable to get a job. "Poor me, I just didn't understand the math of how much $80,00 is". Now take a close look at the students like the chick at the 4 minute mark -- she has a nose ring and tattoos - and wonders why she can only get a minimum wage job in a C-store.

I got some news for these students.... they are getting exactly what they deserve for their foolish decisions.

#29     May 13, 2012
  10. sle

sle

What I see is that employers actually compete for top talent, even at the very junior level. Which, oddly surprised, is consistent with the new normal - you either are a skilled talented professional (top 5-7%) and get highly paid jobs, or you are not and struggle to survive.

Personally, I think the new normal has to do with the technological displacement of the low skill jobs. When I started on Wall Street in 1996, every managing director had a secretary. Nowadays, twenty managing directors share a single secretary, cause they write their own emails, schedule their own appointments etc. These jobs are gone and people that would have taken them before have to scrape by.

#30     May 13, 2012