Consult: advantages-disadvantages between IB's Api and 3rd party trading software

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by pstrusi, Nov 24, 2016.

1. pstrusi

pstrusi

I'm not a complete newbie in this subject, however besides my own list, I'd really like to hear from other experienced fellows who can tell more.

Since I'm an IB user, my goal is to take advantage of the best technology available: the most secure, reliable, quick and efficient enviroment for my automated strategy to work. I've had very good experiences with Ninjatrader, it works quite well no doubt, but it's another server-station to go through. This has pros and cons. What could you tell about:

- Reliability of connection
    - Trading velocity
    - Security of your code while working through these servers ( hackers, backdoors...etc )

Thanks

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

What asset class?

3. pstrusi

pstrusi

Forex mainly

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I thought IB dropped FX in the US.

5. 931

It may be best in longer term to make standalone algo, it wont be platfrom dependant and can always change in future.
    Easyer and faster may be to implement for specific platform , many features may be already precoded , but probably cant implement as many custom features.
    Depend how well implemented and how hardware power,reliability and internet connection backed up.
    Probably wont matter very much unless lots of orders or high frequency.
    One way could be to use seperate osĀ“es via virtualization and keep algo and execution terminal seperated and firewalled.
    Could even make your own specific hardware interface to connect pc with terminal to pc running algo and specific 2 way com to make pc with algos more like closed loop or harder if not impossible to hack lol

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    pstrusi likes this.
  6. InvBox

InvBox

Not sure NT support option chain well. Also looking for some ready to use 3th party solution. NT looks fine but only for charting and plain instruments. For options they have zero!

Spent for around 2-3 weeks. Thought on ET guys know best of practices.