Constant problem here - The connection has timed out

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by street carp, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Anyone else have the following problem? For me it's been constant for what seems a year. (So much so that I rarely even try to come here anymore.) I initially can get to the forums, but after about 2 clicks nothing will load and I can no longer go anywhere. Other threads, pages, or subforums. I can't even get to the main page. Firefox (completely updated, btw) then gives this familiar message:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.elitetrader.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Maybe in a couple of minutes I can open a thread and then get to the 2nd page and then the whole slowdown process begins again. The same problem occurs with IE; I don't have this problem with any other site I visit. It is just me? Is there some setting this site requires that I need to change?

2. Joe

Joe

I had this problem when using a Verizon wireless card in the mountains. Is there any similarities? How about connection speed, which are you using dial up, dsl, cable? How about using wifi?

3. I use Charter cable (5 Mbps - which I've verified at 4.8). When the problem occurs at elitetrader it's only there. I can go to any other site on the internet and those sites open immediately with no other problems.

4. [​IMG]

5. And no, I'm not using wireless.

6. It's probably too early to to say, but it seems like I have solved the problem.:D I finally found another site that was freezing on me so I started really looking for answers.

I remembered that I have two LAN connections on this motherboard. What would it hurt to try the other one? All I did was the switch and the problem (knock on wood) has suddenly stopped.

However, I still wonder why I was only having problems on this and the other site.:confused: