Conspiracy Theory stuff

Discussion in 'Options' started by Eliot Hosewater, Aug 25, 2007.

1. You can go deep in the money for a lot less than $78000 per contract.

#11     Aug 25, 2007
  2. They were call spreads so technically is like buying the put spread but its no big deal. All of those trades were crossed bye one firm to itself to move them to different accounts

#12     Aug 25, 2007
  3. you know this how? What were the other legs? Why in the world were they doing 700 strike?

#13     Aug 25, 2007
  4. time to start buying airline puts ? :p

of course the SEC "cannot" solve this crime...we'll never know who bought them. SEC likely ordered to stand down.

#14     Aug 26, 2007
  5. Rothschilde's, Warburg's etc must need a few more shekels for Xmas

#15     Aug 26, 2007
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

My guess is the calls were bought long before when they were OTM and when the market rallied and they went ITM, they were held instead of sold. Nobody would sell those calls if they wanted to hide the transaction. Selling a strike that is very illiquid with no open interest is the EASIEST way to get noticed. If you want to hide, you need to pick the most liquid and most actively traded stock in the most actively traded index.

#16     Aug 26, 2007
  7. Last time the SPX was below 700 was about 10 years ago. I don't think they have LEAPS that far out.

#17     Aug 26, 2007
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

SPX was at 770 about 5 years ago. Also, you can buy leaps 15 years out if you want. All you have to do is request a quote from the floor.

#18     Aug 26, 2007
  9. The SPY does not have a 700 call (that I see)

The SPX has the following on the PUT side:

660 = 36K
    680 = 36K
    700= 36K
    720 = 67K

That looks like spreads to me.

I don't buy the doom and gloom. It rarely happens but it is fun to watch everyone run around thinking the sky is falling.

I think we are about to head back up.

#19     Aug 26, 2007
  10. cstfx

cstfx

She could be sending an implicit message to the anyone planning anything that if you do something before the election you will have to deal with 4 (or more) years of the war mongering attitude of the Rep's. Don't do anything and they may get an administration that may be more sympathetic to their concerns. At least that's what I thought.

#20     Aug 26, 2007