Conservatives: Always on the wrong side of history.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Aug 16, 2012.

1. http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/05/11/conservatives-always-on-the-wrong-side-of-history/

CONSERVATIVES: ALWAYS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF HISTORY:

1) Conservatives opposed the American Revolution

Conservatives vehemently warned us that it was unnatural to rebel against our Sovereign Lord, King George III, and that doing so would plunge the colonies into disorder. They assured us, as the father of conservatism, Edmund Burke echoed, that social stability would only come from the small group of wealthy aristocrats ruling over the poor majority. Conservatives reiterated that it was the duty of the poor to obey their “betters.” Their rewards, after all, will come in Heaven.

2) Conservatives opposed freeing the slaves

I know, I know. Here’s where the sophomoric CONS, lacking the ability for complex thought, will whine that Lincoln, a Republican, freed the slaves. But as Southern historian Al Benson, Jr. wrote in his article, “The Republican Party, There are NO conservative roots there,”

“It is interesting to note that, in 1860, the Democrats were the real conservatives, while the Republicans were the left-leaning radicals.”

The Republican Party of the 1860’s, as evidenced by their platform, was a progressive party that rose in opposition to the entrenched power structure. It called for protective tariffs, Besides emancipating the slaves, Lincoln was in favor of progressive taxation. The Revenue Act of 1862 levied a 3% tax on people making between $600 and $10,000 a year, and a 5% for those making over $10,000.

As Andrew Belonsky wrote for Death and Taxes,

“Lincoln believed that rich Americans should pay more than their less wealthy friends and neighbors.”

But, because they are CONS and want to rig the system in their favor, they only considered slaves “people” for purposes of counting them in order to increase the slave-state representation in Congress.

Conservatives warned that freeing the slaves, believe it or not, was an affront to liberty – as well as an evil government plot to force hardworking business owners to release their property. After all, as the Bible tells us, and as Rush Limbaugh later reminded us, “some people are just born to be slaves.”

3) Conservatives opposed women’s suffrage

Conservatives warned us that women just didn’t have the mind, much less the disposition, for politics. They would, of course, get all hysterical – and if they’re having their periods! Well, look out, men! As Limbaugh cautioned again, uppity women might put testicles in a lock box and upset the “natural” hierarchy.

Even today, in 2012, CONS (such as, Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, tea party activist, Fox News contributor, and founder of an organization where Sean Hannity serves as an advisory board member) lament that the worst thing that ever happened to America was that women were given the right to vote.

4) Conservatives opposed minimum wage and child labor laws, the 8-hour work day, weekends, sick leave… etc.

Conservatives warned us that the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, which established a national minimum wage, guaranteed ‘time-and-a-half’ for overtime in certain jobs and banned child labor, was going to collapse the economy. But President Franklin Roosevelt countered at the time, “Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, …tell you…that a wage of $11 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry.” What a surprise! He was right and conservatives were wrong.

70 years later, CONS are still trying to undo the minimum wage and get those kids out of the classroom and back into the factories of Republican campaign contributors.

2. Mav88

Mav88

You do know 'progessive' lincoln wanted to deport freed slaves, right?

the minimum wage is a feel good sham, if it really worked then we would simply raise it to $50/hour

contextual changes and revisionism are rampant, I could make a liberal list but why bother following a cut and paste

3. jcl

jcl

Seems somewhat tautologic. Conservatives, by their very definition, tend to conserve the status quo, and thus are naturally always on the wrong side of history whenever something changes. Not all changes however are for the better.

4. Max E.

Max E.

The one constant throughout American history is that there has always been a democrat standing in the way of progress for black people.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xryXpK042pQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Mav88

Mav88

disagree. for one thing the status quo right now is terrible, secondly all kinds of new market based experiments are due to conservatives such as school vouchers which are liked by inner city people

6. Conservatives opposed the 20 million + black people who have been aborted.

Oh, but that's okay I guess. Right? Come on, tell me that's right now will you?

7. Not likely. They oppose a woman's right to chose. They want to rule her own body.

8. There will always be one who acts profoundly against their best interests.

Did you know that jews often worked in concentration camps in Nazi Germany, often at the expense of their fellow jews.

This is what a black conservative is. Blacks due to historical circumstances have little to "conserve".

But there will always be the brainwashed one or two.

9. Indeed, ET has been great for studying that. I now truly understand the conservative mind. If I were a middle aged white guy, I would most likely be conservative too.

10. Brass

Brass

And yet, I'm not.

#10     Aug 16, 2012