Conservative Campaign Promises - How can you NOT vote for this guy?!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kassz007, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

Well, if I (we) didn't give them some money, sure as shit some big company would be digging up my yard.

#41     Apr 8, 2011
  2. Why does the economy need to be weak in order to lower taxes? I, for one, know I can spend my money better than the government can spend my money. I welcome tax cuts anywhere in the business cycle. Provided the country is not burdened by staggering debt, mind you, which Canada is not and has not been for many years now.

#42     Apr 8, 2011
  3. Agreed. Which is why a certain level of taxation is necessary for a country. The question is - what level of taxation is necessary, and what level of taxation is overcumbersome and akin to extortion?

I believe Canada can afford to lower taxes, because they have more than enough tax money right now to provide all of the essentials a government should provide. This is evidenced by the many wasteful programs already funded by the government.

#43     Apr 8, 2011
  4. Hello

Hello

LOL... Please show me with numbers what Harper did to balloon the deficit.

Do you give credit to Harper for having the strongest economy in the G7? Do you blame Obama for having the weakest economy in the G7?

Gooooo Big government!!!!

#44     Apr 8, 2011
  5. Ricter

Ricter

I give credit primarily to prudent Canadians, they just don't seem to gamble to the extent Americans do. Harper is fine, don't get me wrong, though he is (of course) too conservative for me. : )

#45     Apr 8, 2011
  6. Socially or fiscally?

#46     Apr 8, 2011
  7. The deficit is there. They are the numbers you are looking for.

Credit where credit is due? The G7 comparison is a relative measure, by definition. Fiscal policy has no real bearing on Canada's relative standing and is more the result of cyclical commodity prices on a resource-rich economy. And, perhaps, a fairly healthy regulatory environment, to which Harper has not contributed in any demonstrable way.

Harper inherited a robust budget and a well-regulated banking system. It was there before he got there. Obama inherited an exploding bag of shit and a lousy regulatory environment. It was there before he got there.

#47     Apr 8, 2011
  8. Perhaps this discussion needs an injection of common sense - can we not admit that every new administration inherits their share of shit and their share of good?

Your reluctance to admit Obama did not inherit any good, and Harper did not inherit any bad is naive.

#48     Apr 8, 2011
  9. True. Every administration typically inherits both some good and some bad. But just to put a finer point on it, could you tell me what was the "good" that Obama inherited, and what was the "bad" that Harper inherited? Just curious.

#49     Apr 8, 2011
  10. I don't see it as extortion.

I see it as membership dues.

People don't want to be a member? They don't have to. They can find another club.

#50     Apr 8, 2011