Consensus on C Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by luxor, Nov 23, 2008.

1. I'm sure it is - that is how government has been injecting capital. Instead of using TARP money to buy MBS - they are allowing companies to issue preferred stock and buying it from them.

#21     Nov 24, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

and shareholders get bailout

#22     Nov 24, 2008
  3. Are you guys not reading the original text?

Double-dilution whammy.

The "backstop" wording is...curious. Will protect against "unusually large" losses.

Here's the term sheet...

http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/bcreg/bcreg20081123a1.pdf

#23     Nov 24, 2008
  4. Hmmm...

So government gets $20 billion in preferreds for injection @ 8% and more preferreds for the right to access government funds.

So a good guess would be the government owns 79.9% of Citi? Similar to Fannie, Freddie, AIG, and whatever else we nationalized recently.

#24     Nov 24, 2008
  5. Daal

Daal

their earnings will be lower because of the preferred dividend. but its not a bad deal, they didnt even had warrants. its not really dilluting the common stock, its just $1.6B a year insurance program. The stock price was almost surely expecting something worse. I think C opens a good deal higher

#25     Nov 24, 2008
  6. Daal

Daal

Nevermind, just noticed they had 10% warrants and destroyed the dividend

#26     Nov 24, 2008
  7. $2.2B insurance policy - there are two sets of preferred totaling $28B - same 8% divie on each.

Dividend on common is gone.

What a stock does short-term on events like this is anybody's guess - but I can see precious little fundamental reason to hold the common at all. Bonds, other preferred etc, quite possibly, but I would have no interest in the common.

#27     Nov 24, 2008
  8. yes......that's your problem. You're not.

#28     Nov 24, 2008
  9. Divvy was already priced in. regardless of what the market thinks, divvy's are zero-sum anyways.

#29     Nov 24, 2008
  10. Daal

Daal

yes the stock should still go up. 10% dilution seems generous

#30     Nov 24, 2008