Connect with other traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by bigspeculate, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Trading from home can be a lonely endeavor. Are there ways to get to know other traders, built some kind of small network of traders to talk markets and trading during the day?

VPhantom likes this.
  2. Jones75

Jones75

StockTwits

3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Home retail traders tend to be private. Thus, not sure what you meant by "get to know other" traders considering you're already here at this forum. Simply, seems like this forum is not what you're talking about because if it was...you wouldn't have started this thread. :cool:

I highly recommend you try to meet traders in person nearby your city of residence and then use online personalities as secondary. Meeting others in person in my opinion could result in opening the door to other things that may be useful in your trading.

How do you meet others in person ?

1) Put your city location in all your online trading profiles to make it easier for others to recognize where you're located (e.g. stocktwits, twitter, Elitetrader.com, facebook, instagram or whatever).

2) Frequently mention your city in messages posts.

3) Start a meetup thread at forums you're registered (e.g. broker forum, charting forum and other related forum). For example, pretend you're from Portland, Oregon. That a thread here at ET titled "Portland, Oregon Meetup" @ http://www.elitetrader.com/et/index.php?forums/hook-up.28/

4) Join a local investing or trading club.

Have fun and merry Xmas. :)

P.S. A quick look at your profile here at ET at the time of this post by me shows that there's no information about you and no city location. Simply, you have an empty trader profile.

VPhantom likes this.
  4. speedo

speedo

A small group of us traded together in a Ventrilo room for a couple of years but decided to end the practice. We really enjoyed each others company and had mutual respect but people trade differently and see things differently making market comments distracting to one's own trade plan. We would also get involved in a non-trading subject and miss an entry. Trading rooms can be a good learning environment for the novice, given an environment of experienced and giving traders but can be detrimental to the experienced trader.

coskinas, nakachalet and VPhantom like this.
  5. elitetrader?

6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You could have formed a room with those using the same method and trading the same trading instrument instead of being in a room full of people doing different things.

Yet, I do understand your point especially for those not use to trading rooms (typically free rooms).

Also, there's the problem that even if someone forms a trading room, private twitter/stocktwits chat, skype or whatever with "like minded" traders....traders will change. Someone into stocks today and joins a room with other stock traders...next month they may switch to forex. Another example, a group of traders trading Gold GC futures and next month a few decide to switch to Crude Oil CL futures.

Yet, same with trading...you got to be discipline in the use of a trading room. If you find yourself engaging in off topic discussions or paying to much attention to such...resulting in missed trade opportunities...its not a good place for you.

There was a thread about the above topic. I suggested for those feeling "lonely" at home while trading...take designated time-outs, each lunch with family/friend of another trader, exercise, listen to music.

Seriously, everybody needs to eat. A trader is not required to do such alone. That 30min - 1hr lunch break may be all that's needed for someone feeling lonely during the trading day.

7. Turveyd

Turveyd

Used a yahoo chat group years ago for stock market plays, mainly penny stocks worked well, had a good group, hard to find a group on the same page mind, ie trading similar stuff and the same way.

Focus or lack of, is my #1 issue currently, I could do with a few good traders maybe 1's I've taught my method to, to help my focus, they feed me ideas, I feed them, keep chit chat to slow times and would suite me nicely.

Did put a thread up, looking for this months back, ZERO interest, not 1 PM!!

Supposed to be training step daughter, but keep vanishing WOMAN!!

8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Update (change) the picture in your profile and input a nude picture of a woman. Next, repost your hook up thread because most here will probably take it serious and think its a self-portrait...

ET members will show up in the +100 range. :cool:

Seriously, this is the only trading forum I know that has approved nude women's pic threads...Cassies Pictorium.

Think about all the commercials on TV that use sexy looking woman or barely clothed woman in the advertisements to attract customers. I think ET does the same via allowing such threads with management approval...to attract new members.

P.S. I don't disagree with ETs marketing tactics. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  9. Whatever did happen to Cassies Pictorium?

10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Its still there...inactive for some strange reason. Strange thread...I thought the thread starter was a woman or a guy pretending to be a woman. :D

#10     Dec 22, 2015