Confidence in George W. Bush

Discussion in 'Politics' started by eagle488, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Pekelo

Pekelo

On the other hand Chavez's is probably 80+%... :)

Edit: Back in March it was 70.5%

#21     Dec 8, 2006
  2. There are several factual errors in your post.

Truman's approval was at 87% after FDR's death and before the end of WWII. The dip to 23% occured during the Korean War, when he fired Gen. Douglas MacArthur. There are two caveats with this. First, although MacArthur was immensely popular at the time - thus firing him was extremely unpopular, it appears that Truman made the right decision. That's why history has become more kind to him. Second, opinion polls 50 years ago are less reliable than they are today. Remember "Dewy Wins?"

Today, I don't see in any way that Bush can redeem himself. History is not likely to change its verdict on Iraq 50 years from now.

#22     Dec 8, 2006
  3. _____________________________________________

You may be correct but personally I am not a big fan of "conventional wisdom". I have profited greatly over years by ignoring the crowd mentality.

#23     Dec 8, 2006
  4. Excellent Commentary...

Doubter Wrote...

You may be correct but personally I am not a big fan of "conventional wisdom". I have profited greatly over years by ignoring the crowd mentality.

............................................................................................

This is very true...as I have done the same in many instances....

What is interesting is that it took THE CROWD to vote Bush into office....

And on the other hand...if everyone thought of themselves as not voting in the direction of conventional wisdom...Ralph Nader, Perot , Gore and many others would have been president instead...

Also ....often is the case that the crowd may be right in many circumstances...

There is a big difference between general common sense and pseudo intellectualism...

With regards to Bush...it is literally a no brainer...
    ...............................................................................................

In one area the Bush Cheney fiasco team has been very very successful....Because of their positions....oil and oil company prices have risen several fold...and the oil states and oil companies have made record financial gains...The US oil companies have made more money than at any other time in the history of corporate America...

And if it were not for the legal impetus...supposedly given by Hussein....this would never have happened...

Their names will forever be in oil company infamy as the biggest financial score US politics has ever witnessed...in an eight year window of opportunity...

Job well done !!!!!!!!

#24     Dec 8, 2006
  5. George F. Will would take issue with your usage of "literally." According to Mr. Will, your post "would be rejected by a reasonably demanding high school teacher."

:D

#25     Dec 8, 2006
  6. __________________________________________________

I am simply saying that it is very early in our participation in the GWOT to already be declaring the losers and victors.

With a nation so focused on video games, mall shopping, and the wonders of Britney Spears it is very hard for me to respect the national opinion on the GWOT and what will happen.

#26     Dec 8, 2006
  7. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the "literal" reference until a proper autopsy is performed in due course. WMDs may not have been the only thing missing during GWB's reign.

#27     Dec 8, 2006
  8. I heard that response, too. As usual Bush sounded like a complete embicile. My god he sounds so bad that he makes me truly ashamed to have him as President. I'm willing to concede he may not be quite as dumb as he sounds, but really, he just can't be all that smart and still sound so stupid and trite and shallow.

Eight fcking years!!!!!

#28     Dec 8, 2006
  9. That is truly a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

#29     Dec 8, 2006
  10. Humpy

Humpy

Interesting summing up of GWB's performance so far by previous posters. Its pretty sickening to see the sycophantic Blair nodding his approval. What has GWB (CIA) got on him ?
    Maybe there should be some sort of qualification for politicians. They have their fingers on the nuclear button and control the destiny of the world. Here in Europe we are affected by decisions made by the leader of the Alliance just as much as US citizens, Our guys are also dying needlessly in Iraq etc. Our wealth is being pored down the pan too !
    The impression here is that George might an OK guy to have a beer with, but for leadership of our lives no-way !! Not his fault if he is a bit short in the mental department and education ( I expect he has found out where Afghanistan is by now - the fact that he didn't know a few years ago should have been a pointer ).
    If he or Blair were leaders in Africa or the Balkans and are responsible for so many deaths they would wind up before the World Court for human rights in the Hague, like Mihlosovitch.
    Unlikely though.
    To get some understanding of GWB, figure out who pulls his strings and it all becomes clearer

#30     Dec 10, 2006