Conditional Cell Formatting in Excel

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by FuturesTrader71, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hi folks,

I have been using Conditional Formatting for a while now. I am at a point where I need to do a lot more formatting than is provided for by the 3 conditions that are in Excel. I know this can be done with Visual Basic. One of my weaknesses as a trader is that I don't have any programming knowledge.

Here's the scenario:

I have a cell that is computed (D57)

If the cell equals the Open (D60), then it should be colored GREEN (or whatever)

If the cell equals the High (D61), then it should be colored RED (or whatever)

If the cell equals the Low (D62), then it should be colored BLUE (or whatever)

So on and so forth. I have about 12 different conditions and they are just simple values.

Other than googling and running thru a bunch of threads and searches, does anyone have a simple sample code that I can use by varying the cell reference and the color?

2. FT71,

This free add-in will get the job done, up to 30 conditions:

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html

Otherwise, you can achieve up to 6 conditional font colors, without using VBA, by combining Excel's Conditional Formatting and Custom Number Format features. To go beyond 6 for font color, or beyond 3 for cell color, I believe that you would indeed need to rely on VBA (without an add-in, that is).

3. hopback

hopback

Thanks for the link.

I've run into the same limitations as FT71.

I was thinking that you might be able to use a pivot table to break down the criteria and then add conditional formats but it doesn't appear that it's doable. I haven't been able to figure it out anyway...

4. I will try that out. I appreciate your help.

5. Futurestrader71,

Halfway down the page

http://www.mrexcel.com/

you will see a book titled VBA and Macros for Microsoft Excel. If you are willing to learn, it could help. One may find it used on Amazon as well.

erie