Concerns about Mirus

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by earlyexit, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Hi Stefan.

No, it wasn't today with the phone issues. The problems this morning just reminded me of how I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone there. And caused me to start this thread.

Thanks

#11     Aug 16, 2010
  2. User a different broker. Mirus is expensive anyway, by a $1 RT for ES. If you just trade 10 RT a day, that's over $200 a month in extra fee.

NT sux too. So many problem. I was consider using it as the front end, but decided to give up after getting surprises every week.

#12     Aug 18, 2010
  3. I've been with them for a few years and have always gotten immediate responses from my rep for all my questions. I even got an email from the owner, Pat, when I set up my account.

However, I've never had to call the trade desk, and the fact that you couldn't get through when you needed to is fairly serious. If you could, please let us know if you get a response about the trade desk issue. You could always consider emailing one of the owners about it.

#13     Aug 18, 2010

4. I was thinking about opening an account at Mirus, and would like to know your experience other than today since there seems to be a massive problem with the zenfire datafeed running with ninja trader. Also what are you paying for r/t commish with Mirus for eminis

#14     Aug 18, 2010
  5. I have heard few complaints but here is one that bothered me. My friend called to have Sunday night phone support manually close a position because NT was being difficult. He has traded almost 20 years. The guy initially refused to call the exchange to manually close it even though he could. He had to threaten to call Elliot on him for the guy to budge. That was about 1 year ago.

#15     Aug 18, 2010
  6. Commissions are $4.40 RT (at least what I'm paying).

A few weeks ago, I had a problem with canceling an order. I called the trade desk and couldn't get to a person (phone rang and range, no voicemail, nothing). This was during normal market hours. With tech support, I had a connectivity problem when I first started using them and wasn't able to reach someone. And finally, every time I've called my rep, I've had to leave a message and wait a little while for a response (sometimes a couple/few days). I guess I can deal with that. Especially since that was when I first signed up and just needed to get answers about paperwork that have since been dealt with.

But, two or three weeks ago, I left a message with my rep. After not hearing anything for a week, I called again and left a second message. Still haven't heard back. I've since given up.

Now, I've received private messages saying that they have had phone issues. So all of this may be connected to that. But really, in this day and age, this sorta stuff should be taken care of pretty swiftly.

#16     Aug 19, 2010
  7. I'm not saying anything specifically about Mirus, but if you have a problem with a trade and can't get through to a rep or have an uncooperative rep, it doesn't matter how good the prices are because one screw up can cost you a lot more then you are saving. I learned that the hard way when I lost about $1500 with Transact because of similar issues.
    Though they are a little more expensive, there are at least 20 good FCMs/IBs out there. I recently dealt with an IB who was $1 more r/t then most others, but every time I called, they picked up. When I had a question, they had an answer. And they were always knowledgeable and professional. Why? They are traders themselves and understood my concerns. Really worth it unless you are trading 1000s of r/t's a month.
    Don't settle for a FCM that makes you nervous. Trading is stressful enough.

#17     Aug 19, 2010
  8. I'm wondering, how big are firms like Mirus, Amp and similar? Sometimes it sounds its a few guys manning a few phones + sales force. Has someone been at their office and can tell what this place looks like?

Personally im more comfortable with a bigger firm with all relevant exchange memberships, like Advantage (just as an example out of many).

#18     Aug 19, 2010
  9. olias

olias

Good points. Especially for a new trader, it's probably worth an extra $1 or $2 per contract to have good support and a responsive broker.

Let's be honest, there are going to be times when every broker is going to have an issue with their technology. Right now it seems that Zenfire is having some problems, but tomorrow it could be TransAct. Every system is going to have their problems from time to time. You can't avoid that. But when your broker doesn't respond, and you can't get through to place an order, that's bs and you shouldn't have to put up with that. The reviews on Mirus have been pretty good up to now, but maybe they just don't have the personnel to service everyone now.

#19     Aug 19, 2010
  10. Mirus sent an email saying that Zenfire will add extra ISP redunancy, and next month they will add an alternate web based login so users can flatten and manage their orders/positions directly at the order server if there is ever any problem with the Ninja Zenfire feed.

#20     Aug 19, 2010