Conceptually define your trading edge

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Calmness, Sep 8, 2019.

1. That's actually where I bought my MH. Didn't like any of the ones they had, but the more I kept describing what I wanted, the odder the look on the salesman's face got... he finally drove us out to his house, and his personal MH was literally exactly what we were looking for.

I'm sitting in it now, at a beautiful shaded campground on a river - half-way back from southern Colorado to Florida.

#41     Sep 14, 2019
  2. Take a look at a payoff diagram of a long option position. Then consider a price change in the underlying of, say 1% within 1 day in both directions. A favorable price move will return more profit than what a unfavorable price move will return in loss within a brief window of time. The negative theta of this position type will of course make it expensive to carry this trade for longer periods. Now consider volatility skew and term structure. It is possible to find option spreads that have both positive theta and convexity (Gamma). For example, a short put / long call risk reversal in ES.

#42     Sep 14, 2019
    BlueWaterSailor likes this.
  3. joker542

joker542

My edge is cutting losses Early and let profits run until , momentum fades. Here is a insight that I rarely see someone discuss every stock in a long run has its own characteristics and it is highly correlated to the volatility of a stock . For example stocks with lower volatility will work better with mean reversals , and stocks with higher volatility will be more profitable with trending strategies.
    Note ** - this is not my opinion I have backtested a lot of strategies to come to this conclusion.

#43     Sep 15, 2019
  4. themickey

themickey

Hmmmmm, I would have thought it would be the other way around, low volatility better with trending - high vol with mean reversals/reversion.

#44     Sep 15, 2019
  5. tortoise

tortoise

My edge lies in my ability to define a trend and act on it.

#45     Apr 25, 2020
    zghorner and xburbx like this.
  6. I think my edge is in understanding that things change so fast that it is hard to have a statistical edge.

#46     Apr 25, 2020
    wrbtrader and qlai like this.
  7. qlai

qlai

This is a very interesting point of view. Would like to hear more.

#47     Apr 25, 2020
  8. schizo

schizo

My edge is finding somebody who is a worse trader than me. :finger:

#48     Apr 25, 2020
    Sekiyo likes this.
  9. Surprising (to me) 123 Lazy Daze Lanes do exist in 3 states, but not in Yakima, WA. ;)

upload_2020-4-25_16-59-22.png

#49     Apr 25, 2020
  10. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I think you can find the statistics but due to the fact that things can change so fast...

The data from the stats needs to be updated to include info from the changed market environment to determine if there's still a statistical edge.

That would then imply the trader needs to have the ability to recognize when market conditions have change to prompt the trader to do statistical analysis again to include info from the new market environment.

wrbtrader

#50     Apr 25, 2020
    Flynrider and BlueWaterSailor like this.