Concentration

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Has it occurred to you that perhaps your concentration is diminishing because you are engaged in too many activities? That can adversely affect both focus and stress levels. Although I think you're being a bit premature here, if cognition and focus diminish with age, then perhaps we need to be more selective in our preoccupations. Make more room by getting rid of some of the clutter so you can focus on the good stuff. And as has already been mentioned, regular daily meditation of even modest duration helps the relaxation response and can aid focus and concentration during the course of the day. Consider Herbert Benson's groundbreaking little book from the '70s: The Relaxation Response.

#31     May 11, 2009
  2. nitro

nitro

Yeah, I didn't know that. I don't know much about drugs and medicines. I was just asking.

#32     May 11, 2009
  3. my body doesnt even notice the difference when I drink quad espressos...

it takes more and more to fly... one of the primary reasons I stopped scalping was the attention it required.. besides the caffeine I use to have music..techno/industrial/hard rock... to keep me awake... and favorite dvd on another screen.. and dont forget the intense lighting required.. for the neurochemistry to get even better effect.

#33     May 11, 2009
  4. nitro

nitro

Perhaps.

But then how do you account for the fact that music doesn't sound as rich to me? I consider that to require very little effort, and yet I can tell that it no longer has the same effect.

It could just be familiarity. I remember going to my mechanic. I told him that my mustang no longer seemed as fast as it was when I first got it. He laughed and told me he could put the car on the dyno and prove to me that I had nearly the same horsepower at the rear wheel than when I got it, and what happened is that I had gotten used to the speed. Sort of like when you are going 100 MPH for a while and then you slow down to 55, it seems like you are going 10.

#34     May 11, 2009
  5. look up psychotropics...

#35     May 11, 2009
  6. nitro

nitro

Crazy people near the equator?

#36     May 11, 2009
  7. lol.. there are different levels of consciousness... sometimes practice with intense meditation lets you able to float from different levels at ease.

But another way which is frowned upon is to use various illegal and legal herbs or medicines..or environmental ques..to shift 'gears' mentally..

#37     May 11, 2009
  8. That, or perhaps your speakers or headphones are degrading. And then there's the matter of your hearing...:D

#38     May 11, 2009
  9. Cesko

Cesko

But then how do you account for the fact that music doesn't sound as rich to me?

"Learned" books talk about this exactly. Meditation (concentration) exercises refresh the senses. It's noticable after few weeks of regular exercise. Grass is greener.... etc. etc. sounds like a cliche but it's true.
    BUT who wants to do a work?LOL.LOL.

Why people look for latest diet fad???
    One reason only. NOT WILLING TO DO THE REAL WORK. The same reason you will think incessantly how to improve your memory but will never make any real effort for improvement in reality. (Dismissed meditation before knowing anything about it.)
    Go pop the pill that's the Amercan way.LOL.LOL.LOL.

#39     May 11, 2009
  10. #40     May 11, 2009