Concentration

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nitro, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hopefully this is true (though not always).

What youth has is amazing energy, strength and powers of virtual regeneration.

What age has is amazing knowledge, wisdom, and the ability to focus your attention on what is important.

So use your time wisely, because time is flowing.

#11     Apr 27, 2009
  2. I had something similar happen and doing the following helped a lot:

1) Totally re-working my daily schedule to do the most difficult things when I know I am at my peak. This time for me is between about 6am-11am.

2) Napping in the afternoon for 15 minutes. This helps with my focus and concentration in the afternoon. If I dont do this I find I mess up detailed items in the afternoon.

3) Juggling the time I take between active work & active relaxation to find the right mix. For me its about 50 min work, 10 min relax.

I basically repeat this process every day and it works well.

My brother is a oil drilling engineer for one of the big oil companies & they actually had a training class on the body's circadian rhythm idea as they had a statistically significantly high number of accidents between 2-3pm. Accordingly, they change up the work day to try and accommodate this.

Eric

#12     Apr 27, 2009
  3. Cesko

Cesko

That looks like dead-bang proof that meditation enhances a person's underlying ability to concentrate. Of course it's also true that meditation classically aims to detach meditators from the world and get them concentrating essentially on nothing. I, personally, would rather concentrate on something. I don't want to detach from the world, I want to stay in it and get something done. I don't know of any definitive proof that the power of concentration developed by meditation can be applied, for example, to flying a plane through a thunderstorm.

Author doesn't understand that the practice of concentrating on something is exactly the same as concentrating on nothing. It has the same effect. Note about detachment proves he doesn't understand the idea of detachment in Buddhism. It doesn't mean withdrawal from the world, it means you are not affected by whatever happens to you or around you.
    Yoga talks about developing one-pointed mind. Mind which is capable of perfect 100% concentration. One result is complete continuous self-awareness. When you get to that point emotions are gone (monkey mind is gone).
    You want to develop concentration abilities? Sit down for 15-20 minutes every day and focus on anything (it doesn't matter what it is) with exclusion of anything else. It will take you just a few seconds to realize how impotent you are in controlling your mind.
    Nitro start doing it everyday and let me know how many days it took you to quit. I've been going at it for 13 years. .

It's really simple. And besides fuck the pills it won't do you any good.

#13     Apr 27, 2009
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

when you go limp then it's time to worry...

#14     Apr 27, 2009
  5. nitro

nitro

I am pretty sure I will never have that problem [running off to find a really big piece of wood to knock on]

#15     Apr 27, 2009
  6. nitro

nitro

I have the greatest respect for these people. But even though I linked to that article, I realize that I may have misled some of you, or perhaps not.

What I am trying to say is not that I want some solution around being able to concentrate better, I am talking about qualia of my own experience

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia

My point is not that I am somehow dysfunctional in the world. It is that my own subjective experience has decreased. it is blurred, slurred, slowed, I can go on with metaphors. I am less alive as a human being. The only thing that I noticed brings back the intensity of my youth is drugs. Oh ok, coffee.

If it is possible to achieve the same thing with Yoga/meditation? I honestly don't know. If the act of meditating would allow me to experience the world in the same "color" that I used to, I should start doing it.

#16     Apr 27, 2009
  7. nitro

nitro

Maybe I just need a vaction. I am spent.

#17     Apr 27, 2009
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

how old are you?? I find running to enhance my concentration and my energy 10 fold. I notice it during the days I don't run or excersize. I guess the zest for life decreases exponentially as one gets older.

#18     Apr 27, 2009
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

Tension Myositis Syndrome....

#19     Apr 27, 2009
  10. nitro

nitro

#20     Apr 27, 2009