Concealed Carrying Bystander Nearly Killed Innocent Man During Tucson Shooting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Don't make it more complicated than it is. The rules for ammending the Constitution are simple. It requires approval by 75% of the state legislatures and two thirds of the federal congress. If you've got the numbers behind you to remove the Second Ammendment, go for it.

In 1778 Thomas Jefferson said: “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

A poll in 2005 showed that about 65% of the American public agrees with that statement. So much for "walk forward testing" the Second Ammendment.

#31     Jan 14, 2011
  2. Ricter

Ricter

The American public may agree, and that's fine since we are a democracy, but the data do not support a "we are safer with more guns" hypothesis. I myself like them, but... just saying.

#32     Jan 14, 2011
  3. Countries with more guns have more gun crimes.

Countries with more cars have more car crashes.

There are more swimming pool drownings in Southern California each year than there are on the entire African Continent. Should we outlaw swimming pools?

I'm not against all gun control. I support laws that prevent the sale of guns to criminals and the mentally ill.

#33     Jan 14, 2011
  4. Typical libturd trying to turn the tables.

The OP is "Concealed Carrying Bystander Nearly Killed Innocent Man During Tucson Shooting." So how about YOU showing that more guns make us less safe? Because the OP is a joke and doesn't support anything except libtarded detachment from reality.

#34     Jan 14, 2011
  5. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

great! not saying it shouldn't be revised. all i'm saying is there is a process to change it. follow the process. if successful, then we will abide by it's laws. what pisses many conservative (and constitutionalists) off is the attempt to circumvent or usurp the Constitution illegally, without following the process.

#35     Jan 14, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Hardly, in fact with the run away intrusion of our over bloated federal government the rationale is as valid as ever.

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    James Madison

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States"
    Noah Webster

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    Thomas Jefferson

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1u0Byq5Qis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1u0Byq5Qis?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.uhuh.com/guns/2ndquotes.htm

#36     Jan 14, 2011
  7. TD80

TD80

[rant][self therapy]

I'm still somewhat shocked to this day by how idiotic the majority of the people in this country truly are. Gone are the days of the moderately educated but highly paranoid and suspicious American.

The American who thinks carefully (such as Tom Davis on here, who with simple common sense thoughts, should have enlightened those of you out in left field had you the minimal intelligence to process what he is saying), would realize an act like this is random and the effort expended to try and reduce the odds of it happening in the future, are actually not worth the cost.

Most of you are fat, gullible, and looking for your next handout/TSA security theatrics. It saddens me to say it, but it is true, even on a trading site which should be the bastion of free thought. If you are looking to our government to solve your problems, you need to seek another domicile. The foundation of this nation is built on anti-government principles. It really is as simple as "That government which governs least, governs best". This is historical fact. It's not for everybody, it is for 75% of the country, which is why it is in the constitution. The other 25% are intentionally marginalized!

Were our founding fathers perfect, honorable men who could see 250+ years into the future as many right wing people allude? Probably not. Most of them were probably anything but. Particularly as you can consider the original articles of confederation, as well as the original constitution (pre-bill of rights, pre-many of our amendments we now take for granted) were certainly dodgy bits of work.

One thing is for certain. They were paranoid as hell about the monarchies of Europe and their underlying power structure
    coming back and infecting us how they did with many of what are now "Commonwealth" countries.

Many a clever person realizes that, in a democracy, most of the time you just need to buy a simple (voting) majority to get what you want. This is particularly easy when you have a fat, gullible, and handout-seeking portion of the populace (and their elected representatives) that are forever growing.

With all of this in mind, we have something uniquely designed to deal with these fatal flaws of democracy, and that is the MOTHERFU%(ING CONSTITUTION.

"But TD80! It's just a piece of paper!" WRONG. It is a set of IDEALS which if half of you retards would stop being so concerned about "winning" an argument and realize that both political parties have been and will always be co-opted by special interests, it is the only damn thing keeping you out of fascist shackles. I suggest many of you think about what happens when the government you think you want to empower to serve you eventually becomes the government that WILL ENSLAVE YOU, I GUARANGODAMNTEE-IT and I have the historical precedents to back it up, just as our founding fathers did...

[/rant][/self therapy]

#37     Jan 14, 2011
  8. jem

jem

The soviet union was an example of a powerful govt.
    China is an example of a powerful govt.

Anyone wanting more govt is suspect.
    Either they are part of the govt power grab or they are a freeloader.

#38     Jan 14, 2011
  9. wjk

wjk

+ 1

One of the best statements I've ever seen in this forum.

#39     Jan 14, 2011
  10. wjk

wjk

Proven beyond doubt by the great left wing dictators of the last century and the trail of dead bodies they left behind.

#40     Jan 14, 2011