Comuter Techies I need your help - New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tampatrader82, May 18, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Agree about "not costing much to go to 2GB [RAM]"... however and while it's conventional wisdom "if you multitask while trading, it is not hard to use up 1GB..." is questionable.

The reason I say that is because I like the rest of you have multiple programs running during trading... in my case it includes a TV tuner card, one and sometimes 2 browsers, and MS Word.

WinXP is good about "paging out" lower priority functions such that on my 2GB RAM rig, and when it's using 850MB of Commit Charge, I still have 1.5G of Physical Memory Available. Therefore, 1GB is plenty and the 2nd 1 GB is really a waste. I suspect most traders' experience is similar. That's why I suggested "checking during the day to see how much Physical Memory is Available" so that one might know whether 2GB is actually necessary.

I suppose one might run Photoshop while trading.. and in that case more RAM is justified. Or, certain trading apps might actually use the extra GB of RAM... but that might not be as likely as most of us think.

#41     May 20, 2008
  2. I hear about a lot of problems from folks upgrading their OS from XP to Vista.

However, I hear about less problems about Vista that's been factory installed on a new machine.

I have Vista on my new system and have not once had any problems.

In addition, I have a few trading retail pals (family friends) that also use Vista...

No problems for them but their system was also factory installed.

Mark

#42     May 20, 2008
  3. I know 4 gigs is wasted so I think I am going to get three just to make me feel good and safe, even if I never use it.

#43     May 20, 2008
  4. Once again, Thank you for everyones input. Happy Trading!

#44     May 20, 2008
  5. you can build the same computer yourself for alot less granted you probably want the tech support, the processor is a bit overkill everything else is fine great computer especially if u will also be doing some gaming from time to time.

#45     May 20, 2008
  6. gnome

gnome

Disagree. Might build it for a little less.

#46     May 20, 2008
  7. edit: i just saw ur gaming post in that case really ask around one of your friends and see if they have built a computer its really not hard (takes about half an hour to put stuff together then install takes a bit more, even if it is your first time and its fun) Go on a website like NCIX look up all the parts for about 2.5-3g u can get what you are getting spend the 1g you save and trade with it!

:)

#47     May 20, 2008
  8. once again i'm not saying he should go that route just suggesting it, i thought building a computer was hard until i built one now i have a new laptop and my 1 year old built machine which still runs like new and i can upgrade it very easily, never had any problems.

#48     May 20, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Still, you can't do it for much less money..

Some of these I estimated, some I just now priced on Newegg..

$ 50.. Case
    50.. PSU
    185.. E8200 CPU
    175.. x38 mobo, AR
    30.. RAM, AR
    30.. DVDRW
    139.. WinXP OEM
    15.. cables
    60.. Hard drive
    120.. 2, Quadro NVS 290 video cards off of eBay

That's $854 + shipping. The Dell T3400 similarly equipped is $838, including shipping.

Even if my estimates are a bit off, where are you going to "save a lot"?

I only went to the trouble of doing this because I know there are a lot of guys who swear, "build it yourself and save a lot". And it's simply not true.

You could save perhaps even several hundred if buying a highly upgraded model from Dell because Dell is notoriously overpriced on some things , but not on "base" and "slightly upgraded" models.

#49     May 20, 2008
  10. kinar

kinar

gnome, I think (hope?) he was still talking about the OP's specs. Not the 3400.

#50     May 20, 2008