Comuter Techies I need your help - New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tampatrader82, May 18, 2008.

1. I looked at the xps 630 on Dell's site and it does appear he paid for two cards. Maybe we're done with this one.

#31     May 19, 2008
  2. gnome

gnome

That 630 has a 650i SLI chipset. That's OK for lots of monitors.

#32     May 19, 2008
  3. Everyone,

The good news is I have not bought it yet, that was just a quote. If anyone has any good three/four monitor setups from a reputable company with sufficient speed/ram, I would love to hear what the set up is. Once again, thanks to all.

TPA

#33     May 19, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

Is you computer to be (1) trading and general computing only, (2) trading mostly, a little gaming just for the heck of it, or (3) gaming is important, and I plan to trade with it too.

#34     May 19, 2008
  5. I stand corrected then. From the original post I thought you had already placed the order and paid for it.

You're in the right place to ask about acquiring a trading system. Rather then get a dozen "experts" debating mhz, cpu, gpu, etc. I'll attest that gnome is the most qualified hardware person on here that I am aware of. He'll point you towards a great trading system at a good price.

I build my own and keep them running but that's about as qualified as I am.

#35     May 19, 2008
  6. I game on an xbox360 and thats it. I want to use it entirely for charting/trading...no gaming, although I am pretty mean on Call of Duty and Madden 08 :). Gaming is fun, but I only play when want to relax and not leave the house.

TPA

#36     May 19, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

Then your solution is easy. A Dell Precision T3400 with 2 Quadro NVS 290 video cards running on WinXP is a no-brainer. (The XPS line has gaming motherboards.... not necessary for trading.) Dell offers the E8200 CPU upgrade at a right price. 1GB is RAM is probably plenty. However... just in case you're using some software which uses significant CPU time, before you buy you should check your Task Manager several times during the day to see what your CPU percent usage is and how much physical RAM you have available. This rig will cost you about $850 + whatever other upgrades you want.. though probably not necessary.

#37     May 19, 2008
  8. Gnome

Thanks for the advice, I greatly appreciate it!

#38     May 19, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

Those NVS 290 video cards are good on any monitor smaller than 30".

#39     May 19, 2008
  10. opt789

opt789

As the overboard computer person I do more than most with hardware, but in your case Gnome is right. Go with XP and the 3400, although I would recommend 2gb of ram. If you multitask while trading it is not hard to use up 1gb, and it wont cost you much to go to 2gb. The 4gb that you quoted is wasted on 32 bit operating systems anyway. As an example, if you have gaming video cards and XP or Vista 32 bit you may only end up with 2.5gb usable of the 4gb installed. You had McAfee chosen so that is good, Norton is a pain. Also Word and Excel are useful programs, you may want to consider upgrading from Works if you think you will use them.

#40     May 19, 2008