Comuter Techies I need your help - New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tampatrader82, May 18, 2008.

1. kinar

kinar

Yeah, You are paying almost a grand for 3 19in (widescreen)monitors. Unless you are already using a 19in widescreen and like it, I would seriously reconsider that as well.

19WS just "seems smaller" to me. I prefer 4:3 aspect ratio on all monitors 19" and smaller. Plus, in this day, 300$ is far too much to spend on a 19" screen even if Dell has the best in the business.

Also, just guessing here since I didn't see the actual cost breakdown but it appears you are spending 500-1000$ on "extended warranty" and "onsite service". If it is really worth that much to you to not have to worry about it, great. However, I would suspect that you would be better off saving that 500-1000$ and just putting it towards a new system when this one dies (assuming it dies before it gets outdated which isn't very likely).

High end computers are not like cars. They are intended to be driven for 1-2 years tops and then passed along to someone else who doesn't mind worrying about maintenance. Paying 1/3rd the cost of the system for warranty just doesn't make sense to me.

#11     May 19, 2008
  2. You shouldn't have to spend more than $1500 TOTAL for the three 19" monitor setup.

Seriously....

Also, did you specifically ask for 19" monitors?

If not, it looks like Dell is just trying to unload their 19" monitors to you since not many people buy those nowadays.

20" and 22" are the most popular LCDs....

Also, just say NO to any extra service/warranty charges. Not worth the money....

When the warranty expires, it's time for a new computer anyways....

Good luck.

#12     May 19, 2008
  3. Spunky

Spunky

Microsoft will still support XP Pro for several more years. It's XP Home that will be unsupported.

#13     May 19, 2008
  4. Wow thanks for all the responses. I asked for the 19 inchers because that is what I have been using at work and I am used to them, and you are correct, I do not want wide screen, I am going to have try to switch that up. The warranty I think was only 280, which for me, is worth it, because they fix things fast and quick from my experience.

I believe a good portion of the extended costs are the processor (dual core extreme, which added 1000 to my cost, and the dual video card so I can get three screens). Unfortunately you cant just go to best buy and get a three monitor set up.

Thanks again for the all the comments, I was not expecting this much feedback :)

#14     May 19, 2008
  5. When I first read your order it looked to me like one dual-head card. Are you sure that is two dual-head video cards? Just don't want you to be disappointed when you get your system.

#15     May 19, 2008
  6. To be honest. As long as I can get three screens I am happy. I am decent with computers, but not with the hardware. This will provide me to have three screens, correct?

Brad

#16     May 19, 2008
  7. I would agree with those saying you are way over board in price, and probably specs. You should be able to get what you need for $1500, or less as mentioned. Like has also been pointed out, you will most likely be looking for something newer in 3-4 years, or at least upgrade.

#17     May 19, 2008
  8. For the love of everything that is good and holy do not buy Windows Vista I'm still in the process of cleaning up from last week's blue screen of death incident. After having to already install and reinstall Vista 2 times I have moved back to xp. I'd send you my copy of Vista except that I don't want to propegate the madness.

.. and ditto everything everyone else said.. Dell = high pricing. You could pick up a much better setup elsewhere.

#18     May 19, 2008
  9. bespoke

bespoke

Damn that's expensive. You can easily save a grand by getting a non-extreme processor and you most likely won't even notice the slightest difference. An 8800GT for all those 2D graphics....

My quadcore, 3 (20,20,19") monitor setup with only quality parts cost less than 1500 CDN to setup 3 months ago. I'm sure it could be put together now for less than 1200.

#19     May 19, 2008
  10. I would suggest you have Dell answer that question and also ask them if you need any splitters/ adapers to run the 3 monitors.

#20     May 19, 2008