Computer turns itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m22au, Dec 17, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

Have you thought of getting an Exorcist?

nitro :cool:

#21     Dec 18, 2002
  2. m22au

m22au

Thanks momotrader,

That could be the answer. Because when the Scandisk type program ran after the reboot, it was finding problems with INI files that I was using, and correcting those problems. Having to restart programs won't be as painful as having a complete reboot each time this happens, if this is the explanation.

#22     Dec 18, 2002
  3. m22au

m22au

I haven't tinkered with the CPU, so I should be fine there.

It could be an overheated CPU - it's been quite hot here recently and my room faces west :( but on the other hand, my old computer ran fine on days when it was over 100 outside. Who knows.

Voltage / power supply .... could be. How much is enough for P 1.7 Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 32 MB Video card, 1*17" monitor, 1*15 monitor?

#23     Dec 18, 2002
  4. m22au

m22au

I might try an Exorcist if this problem persists in the weeks and months to come. I'll add that idea to the list.

#24     Dec 18, 2002
  5. My new XP computer started shutting off and restarting after I added another 512MB of DDR. It would then show a message sometimes like "Windows has recovered from a severe error...". It would only do this once within about 2 minutes of cold-start, and then would work fine all day.

Funny thing is that the memory check showed that all of the RAM was being seen by the system and was available. I took out 256MB and it doesn't reboot anymore. Need to check into this further when I get time.

#25     Dec 18, 2002
  6. you have a bad stick of memory. "bad" as in defective...

happened to me once.

the memory check won't tell you sh!t about that.

#26     Dec 19, 2002
  7. you need 300 watts.

sounds like you have a bad memory stick.

did you add new memory recently??

#27     Dec 19, 2002
  8. maybe an unstable system isn't the best thing for a daytrader...

besides, don't you have a supercomputer now??

#28     Dec 19, 2002
  9. It has been running XP for 2 days straight with no problems. I was using FLASK MPEG encoder constantly to test the CPU at full throttle.

I can get some pretty decent FPS out of Quake -- But I need to upgrade the video card.

It isn't encased in liquid nitrogen, though. I had to move up to liquid helium.

#29     Dec 19, 2002
  10. Miki

Miki

Last time my computer refused to cooperate I assumed it was disgusted with the way I traded that day.

#30     Dec 19, 2002