Computer security forum

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by m22au, Jan 1, 2006.

1. m22au

m22au

Baron,

Any chance of creating a computer security forum?

Relevant subtopics include:

firewall (hardware and software)
    anti-spyware
    anti-virus
    browser choice

behaviours (eg. don't download dodgy exe files)
    sites to test your PC

surge protector
    UPS

At the moment, most of the relevant posts / threads are buried in the 'software' forum, with some in the 'hardware' forum

2. TGregg

TGregg

I support this idea. While the number of posts won't be so high (in my estimation), I do believe that there will be considerable value and views of this forum. I think this would make a fine addition to EliteTrader, pulling in a wider audience that can easily find help.

Plus I'm darn tired of posting that link to the really good thread that describes how to clean up your system! We should make that one a sticky.

3. m22au

m22au

backup software
    backup hardware

redundant systems (eg. have a PC dedicated for trading, and a separate one for general web surfing)

security procedures (eg. store data backup off site as well as on site)

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I will dig around the database and see if there's enough security-related threads in the various forums to justify moving them to a dedicated forum. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. Banjo

Banjo

I support this idea also. The subject is everchanging and difficult to keep up with for the average person. A place to find the latest info fast would be a great help. Maybe my wife would even let me own a sledgehammer again. :D

6. Yes, Yes...
    ET needs sticky(s) !!!
    Baron...?

7. Baron

Baron ET Founder

So is the consensus that a new forum needs to be created or is that we just need to stick some key security threads at the top of the hardware forum.

8. TGregg

TGregg

9. m22au

m22au

There are so many useful threads that if you went for the 'sticky' option, you would never see any 'non-sticky' new hardware threads on the main forums page.

I vote for the new forum option.

Separate to this, I believe that computer security is more of a software issue than a hardware issue. There are some hardware considerations (eg. hardware firewall, UPS) but there are more software considerations.

10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

#10     Mar 3, 2006