Computer Science for Trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Doran, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

Don't be so sure. There are now machines that can outplay the best human chess players in the world.

Of course every computer still has to be programmed by one or more humans. So it's not really machine versus human, it's (machine plus human) versus human. :)

#31     Jan 13, 2013
  2. you say, I'm teaching my computers how to program, and the early results are quite impressive

the reserve team is teaching them what to do in case of my early demise

#32     Jan 13, 2013
  3. vicirek

vicirek

Good point. One of the problems with programming and building good applications is that trader and programmer speak different language and do not quite understand each other. Very often good trader is not capable of conveying the message how to build good trading system or might not realize how his trading system works in detail and cannot properly quantify it. There are very few people who would be good professional trader and professional programmer with enough scientific background to build good software. Unfortunately programming is time consuming and very tedious.

#33     Jan 13, 2013
  4. 2rosy

2rosy

that might have been the case years ago but now the two are closer than you think at least for anything automated. As for anyone who cannot quantify there system properly its probably because they shoot from the hip.

#34     Jan 13, 2013
  5. Pretty much rubbish. I have a bachelors in CS and it doesn't relate to trading in any way.

#35     Jan 16, 2013
  6. koolaid

koolaid

Because as complex as chess is, there is a finite number of combinations; there is a finite number of moves and counter-moves, all of which can be programmed and stored so that the computer can plan ahead. The computer wins because they can see and narrow down moves in advance.
    That's different than creativity. Computers are incapable of creativity right now. Chess isn't a dynamic game believe it or not. The market is a dynamic game.

#36     Jan 16, 2013
  7. Humpy

Humpy

Might be easier to have a couple of kids and train them up.

#37     Jan 17, 2013
  8. I don't think a degree is necessary for trading at all, but if one insisted upon it I'd go with either a psychology or compu sci degree. Which depends entirely on your personality. If you want to take indicators for example and tinker with them to find an edge then programming might be better suited for you. If you are more intuitive and want to understand how things tick in a more discretionary style than you might be better off with a psych. degree.
    Between the two I myself would take psych.
    I can tell you that I personally believe that my Economics degree did more harm than good in regards to trading.

#38     Jan 17, 2013
  9. d08

d08

Frustrated much?

#39     Jan 17, 2013