Computer running at 100% CPU Usage and not sure why

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brownsfan019, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Isn't Window just wonderful?

#11     Oct 1, 2007
  2. Good suggestions guys, thanks.

I've never noticed this issue before, so not sure if the recent OEC upgrade may have affected this as well.

#12     Oct 1, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

If you recently did an upgrade, very likely the culprit.

#13     Oct 1, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

Actually, it is overall.

#14     Oct 1, 2007
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

I closed Ecry and it sill showed 100% so I saw IEXPLORE.EXE ( all cap) keep consuming 80% of CPU I terminated that one and % went down.

#15     Oct 1, 2007
  6. Corey

Corey

Sounds like a memory leak problem.

How long has the computer been running without being rebooted? When you try to open a program, can you hear your hard-drive thrashing? Once you run out of physical memory (your DRAM or SRAM), the computer uses the harddrive to store process data -- which is in the magnitude of thousands of times slower than main memory access.

So most likely, your computer has been on for a very, very long time. Windows is notorious for slowly leaking memory and never collecting it, meaning that eventually every process run will be allocated space on the hard-drive, which will cripple your computer's performance.

Try rebooting every couple of days.

#16     Oct 1, 2007
  7. syrre

syrre

This is by far the best response.

Many normal applications (like a browser) can occasionally fire your CPU percentage to the roof.

#17     Oct 1, 2007
  8. Not like we have much of a choice. Bill Gates pretty much has the market cornered.

#18     Oct 1, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

"Occasionally", sure... lots of programs send the CPU to 100% spike at launch... that's completely normal.... but that's not what OP is talking about.

#19     Oct 1, 2007
  10. I know this is extreme, but if all of these other suggestions fail, try reinstalling Windows. When I first bought my PC, after a couple of months I had this problem, and IBM reinstalled new MB, CPU etc, and finally reinstalled windows and that was the culprit. Apparently it can become corrupted.

Edit - I see gnome already suggested this...:D

#20     Oct 1, 2007