Computer randomly freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chisel, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Amkeer

Amkeer

350 watts should be just enough power for all you have running. Your jumpers on the HD's are set properly?

When you freeze can you right click lower taskbar and open taskmanager to end task that is not responding?

Check event viewer to see if it has errors reported. Go to control panel, open administrative tools and open event viewer from there.

#61     Jan 9, 2003
  2. chisel

chisel

Yes, jumpers are correct. When it freezes, there is nothing I can do. The cursor freezes...EVERYTHING. The only thing to do is reboot. The Application Log in the event viewer says there's an error in the True Vector Engine. This seems to be the consistent error whenever the system freezes.

#62     Jan 9, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Haven't been following the thread closely but it sounds like a problem with zone alarm: are you running this ? There have been problems in the past with this running on win 2000 sp1 etc and under XP, and other issues particularly with the freeware version. Check their site (zonealarm) for info if you are running this ....... If this is the issue you might want to switch software but uninstalling za or the os would be a bit of work .....

#63     Jan 9, 2003
  4. chisel

chisel

Yes, I'm running the freeware version. I'll check out their site. Thanks.

#64     Jan 9, 2003
  5. Remember my first suggestion. Check the software that you've added. Being your tech and looking at the patient in person, one of my first checks would have been known software issues. ZoneAlarm is one of the first things that I would check. The software (even in the Pro version) is still not written a tightly as it needs to be. And it can cause independent issues. Get yourself the "Paid" version if you must have it. I tell most of my clients to "stop using a cleaners bag as a condom."

But here's a thought for you. You are trading and being professional here. Spend a few extra bucks for piece of mind. By a hardware gateway for protection. ZoneAlarm Pro 3.0 retails for $29.99, Linksys EtherFast Wireless Access Point + Cable/DSL Router w/ 4-Port Switch can be had for $99.99 (CompUSA). Great toy that will give you years of growth capabilities. Think about it! :)

#65     Jan 9, 2003
  6. huangks

huangks

Check the bios for the memory speed. Dont set it to high. If u see 1T, change it to 2T. I believe the proper set up is 3,6,3 and 2T. (dont do this unless u understand bios setup, or it will cripple ur system)

AMD vs Intel= buy AMD. It's faster n cheaper. I have two AMD systems, one WinME and one Win XP sharing internet. No problem.

If u use Win XP, check this site for security updates:

http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

#66     Jan 9, 2003
  7. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Actually I would not use zone alarm or a wireless system: our systems use a hardware firewall and on our MS internet facing systems we run IAS which is a very nice product if you run MS server products. ..... Hope Chisel works out the conflict with zone alarm without too much grief ....

#67     Jan 9, 2003