computer question -- am i being ripped off here?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tortoise, Feb 20, 2010.

1. I guess tc wont be sponsoring ET

#41     Feb 22, 2010
  2. or those have positive experience didnt see this thread. :D

#42     Feb 22, 2010
  3. GiantDog

GiantDog

Baron is already pissed about it. :p

#43     Feb 23, 2010
  4. Hi all,

I'm a beginning trader. I've been over at Bright for 6 months now, currently trading from home.
    And I want to update my home computer setup. I currently do automated Opening only OPG trades, and Pairs trading.
    I plan on joining their JVC pairs program in the near future. Very little scalping.

I have my eyes on this one ebay seller, since their prices look very competitive, and the Computer feedback looks good.
    He has many configurations, and can customize, but this one Below has 2 video cards, and can run 4 monitors out of the box, which is what I wanted.
    A little over $800 seems very reasonable I just wanted 2nd opinions, in case I missed something!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290390388521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

thanks, marc

#44     Mar 7, 2010
  5. If you really are a trader looking for a new PC - the one you linked to is a terrible choice. It's designed entirely for gaming, which is why it contains two high-powered 3d graphics cards. As a trading computer, it's configured all wrong and would use excess power and be very noisy. Trading doesn't require 3d graphics at all, and there are much better choices for multiple monitor setups.

- If you are in fact the vendor of that PC, shame on you!

#45     Mar 8, 2010
  6. Look into buying a dell or something cheap (money wise). Id recommend a quad core or an i-5 if you want to be more future proof could get away with a core2duo if you want to spend as little as possible. The i-7 is aimed more at video processing and high load computation (not really needed for trading). Also its quite easy to replace or add video cards and ram, but you should at least have 4gb and with that you'll need a 64 bit OS. Id personally get something that has a few free PCI-e cards to upgrade to more monitors if you ever need to and something with a motherboard that can support more ram. Also don't buy from ebay, going with dell or hp or something like that save a lot of headaches, I had a hard drive go on me after 2 weeks and they sent a new one no problem. Also you should look into doing full backups as well but make sure that you have an external drive and shut it off when your not backing up (saves on wear). Building one or having one built is also an option.

#46     Mar 8, 2010
  7. #47     Mar 8, 2010
  8. .

Every time I try a Dell configuration,
    I come up with way way Way over $1,000 for what I want...
    [That's why I looked at Ebay. $800 sounded good]

Is a Gaming setup very bad, way wrong, or "overkill" for Trading -- or what exactly?
    My currently setup Is Noisy, so I put it in my closet, with long monitor cables!

I'm not looking for cheap, I'm looking for Value.
    [Did you really look at some the systems this Ebayer has?
    It appears they can configure non-gaming systems also, if that's what I have to have]

The more I think about it, I want to start with 4 monitors out of the box -- with the capability for 8.
    Which means probably something like 4 moderately priced cards [with a 4 card capable motherboard]?

thanks
    Marc

#48     Mar 9, 2010
  9. A gaming mobo is OK for trading (probably any system today with at least 2, PCIEx16 slots), but to cut down on noise you could replace the gaming video card(s) with workstation cards (no fans)... if your PSU is noisy, replace with a quiet one... same for CPU cooler.

If you really want to run 8 monitors, you'll likely need to run 2, quad port video cards... expect to spend about $350 ish or more on each card.

That rig in your link is $809, "not including operating system"... so add another $150 for that....

You might want to check Dell's Outlet for Precision T3400.... they've got a couple of 3Ghz C2Ds for $600. Add another NVS video card for <$50 and you're in business for 4 monitors now.... they used to give free W7 upgrade, so you might want to check into that if you go this route. And yes, this is PLENTY of horsepower for trading.

#49     Mar 9, 2010
  10. It comes with a basic Windows 7 64 bit included,
    and is already set up for 4 DVI monitors [I asked them].
    They also "seem" to be using newer technology. Isn't that Dell getting a little old, technology-wise?
    [8 monitors may remain a future goal for now]

I know it's Ebay, but the feedback looks good for computers.

Marc

#50     Mar 9, 2010