computer question -- am i being ripped off here?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tortoise, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tortoise

tortoise

--- epilogue ---

The last year has been good, so I decided to splurge.

I walked into a Mac store, bought a dual quad core Nehalem-Xeon Mac Pro. I'm running 64-bit windows7 courtesy of BootCamp. In other words, my Mac's now a PC.

So far, it's the best damn PC I've ever encountered. Windows experience score of 7.4.

I run Multicharts, which takes full advantage of the 16 virtual cores created with the xeon's hyperthreading architecture.

The Mac's built like a brick. It's so quiet, I have to look at the for the little power LED in the front of the case to know that it's on. And it's gorgeous, the brushed aluminum case a thing to behold.

As for speed...it took more than 20 minutes for that i7 to compile my EL scripts in Multicharts' PowerLanguage editor. The Mac did it under five minutes.

Overkill? Who cares.

It's my (considerably less expensive) version of an Italian sports car.

I hate Macs. But, God help me, I do love Mac-PCs.

#21     Feb 21, 2010
  2. I always buy from Dell, HP or other manufacturers, especially when . I don't need a middleman to drive up the price.

I thought Christian Gross was right on. Having some redundancy and connecting together off the shelf stuff is better than complex and expensive. NASA built their own complex & expensive shuttles, and two of them have already exploded with serious loss of life, etc.. Now we have to pay the Russians to take some of our astronauts to the Space Station.

Every dollar wasted is a dollar that could have gone into trading or other useful purpose.

#22     Feb 21, 2010
  3. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

:confused: you mean you hate OS X? just out of curiosity, why?

#23     Feb 21, 2010
  4. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

if i was a professional software engineer, I wouldn't want my boss to know that I don't know how to install software either.

#24     Feb 21, 2010
  5. ET99

ET99

dell is in the pits, and you want to buy from the loser?
    birds of a feather...

#25     Feb 21, 2010
  6. You have benchmarks to prove that? Or is this just linear thinking at its worst?

You're probably right, I expect my i5 to whither and die long before your i7 , and the mother board to break into tiny pieces at the first sign of a cpu usage spike,

WARNING: If you're getting hardware advice on ET you're in deep shit.

#26     Feb 21, 2010
  7. Actually, I've been a software engineer for almost 14 years now and was a hardware designer for a few years too. The advice on ET is actually not too bad, there's usually about 5 knowledgeable posters to every 1 clueless poster.

The ratio is reversed when it comes to trading advice though.

#27     Feb 21, 2010
  8. JA_LDP

JA_LDP

wow. What was I right about? i never suggested intel built i5s was any less quality than i7s.

you obviously have no clue of the differences between lga 1366 and lga 1156. why don't you call up your local geek squad and ask them.

#28     Feb 21, 2010
  9. Wow, an intelligent post. What are you doing on E'trader?

#29     Feb 21, 2010

10. I have more than a clue, gotten when I did my due diligence before building my i5 rig. (Built my own since the 80's) My research indicated that other than spending $300 more for the computer, you'd be getting next to nothing in a performance boost.

I took your 'cheaper' comment literally, if that's not what you meant, so be it.

For anything but the most insane co located hft bullshit, I defy you to show me a practical difference in performance for a trader.

PS Buying a pre built computer is nearly guaranteed to be underpowered and overpriced. Especially from so called 'specialty' shops catering to a niche.

#30     Feb 21, 2010