Computer Overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FinStat, Jun 27, 2003.

1. FinStat

FinStat

One of my computers was running a little hot. then it twice restarted on its own. the third time this happened a message came up that said the computer could not access windows.

took it to a repair shop where they replaced the power supply fan (older P3, no specific CPU fan) . was running fine then after a few days it restarted itself again. set some external fans next to it and it has been fine for the last few days but i was looking for a more permanent solution.

thanks

2. just as a precaution,

back up all the data, and take written notes on the configuration and software content on that machine....

in short, you're looking at replacing that box, because the components take on an interdependency that's hard to just plug/play defective parts and expect it to continue working.

if the fan was replaced and the problems persist, then is it an over clocking issue?, have the jumpers or settings been altered?

simple question is also placement in your office, where it gets heat from other machines, the sun through the windows, or otherwise?

3. contejas

contejas

4. FinStat

FinStat

overclocking????

box is close to a window but underneath desk.
    haven't been running a/c. could the box be overheating before i do???

5. Momento

Momento

6. chasmann

chasmann

First I will assume that the repair shop did the standard check over and also used compressed air to clean off all components.
    A fan drawing room air across electrical components will leave a tremendous amount of dust. This acts as a thermal barrier to cooling. I take my computers out to the garage and blow the dust out as needed. My Tradestation box is on 24 hours, 7 days a week so it requires the most cleaning. Every six months I open it up, set my compressor to 20 pounds pressure and watch the dust fly, the most comes out of the power supply so start there and then work away from it. Blow off everything in the case.

If you don't have a compressor you can get get cans of compressed air at any computer store ( at times they are free after a rebate), but they don't do half as good a job.
    Please don't tell me this will destroy the computer as I have done this for the last 12 years with no adverse results.

If the machine is clean and all fans are working properly I would try a slot cooling fan. This is one I found at a site that sells components;
    "No other cooling fan compares to our turbine fan cooler! Easily mounts in an unused card slot in your computer. So quiet, you'll be amazed that this fan moves 42 cubic-feet-per-minute of air. Feel the temperature drop and extend the life of your components-installation takes just minutes! Designed to last over 15-years!
    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
    • Incredible 42 CFM air flow
    • 5 year warranty
    • Includes standard power connector
    Item #: 148 0530
    Price: $7.88 "

All this assumes the rest of your computer is worth spending the time to do the work. At the current prices I might look at this as a great excuse to upgrade to that new computer.

Chuck.

7. Years ago I had a 200Mhz Cyrix chip that ran extremely hot. To comound matters, the rectifier ran very hot because of the watts required to run the chip. I mounted a power supply fan to the bottom of the case blowing directly on the rectifier and chip.

On this box I'd take the compressed air route as suggested, that should put the box back to where it was before the overheating problem. If the repair shop already blew the dust out, then you have another issue somewhere. PIII's don't generally run that hot. I'd try the additional fan idea, but fo with an additional case fan that sucks air in to complement the power supply fan that sucks air out.

8. FinStat

FinStat

dusted box. was pretty clean though.

using external fan which seems to work well but i don't think this should be necessary...............

9. taumeson

taumeson

FYI I used to do this type of stuff for a living (college, gimmi a break) so here are some suggestions from a former professional :p

1) Check and make sure all your fans are running. (Including the one on your power supply)

2) If your computer is restarting, depending on the hardware a log might exist in your BIOS saying what hardware piece failed due to heat... this would give you good specifics. If you dont have this info, dont worry about it.

3) If you want to be super cheap, just take the cover off of your computer... this will significantly improve the temp of your computer (assuming you have your computer in a roomy location where the heat can disapate) The drawback to this is it's ugly and probably noisy due to fans/harddrives

4) related to #3, make sure your computer isnt in a cramped location.. make sure that the hot air being blown out of your case isnt just being recirculated back into your computer

5) check what directions your fans are blowing.. this is really important. Generally the Power supply fan should be blowing OUT (power supply gets really hot!) and the other fans should be blowing in, but it really depends on the layout of your case.

6) go buy some cheap case fans online and cut some holes in your case.

7) if all else fails, or you have plenty of money to burn, have a "professional" do it for an up-your-butt-unlubricated expensive fee.

10. FinStat

FinStat

thanks for the help

best

#10     Jul 1, 2003