Computer maintenence

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luto, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Luto

Luto

A couple of place that are cool

tweakXP.com
    Some of the stuff is fine others are a bit too hard core for me.

Tweaks I like are:
    /NoGUIBoot in MSCONFIG
    disabling unneeded startup items
    Turn off indexing
    Turn off Show windows contets when dragging (esp on no pentium chips)

Where to buy:
    Dealnews.com always has a good HD deal it seems.

--Now if the market would just move this PM....

#51     Jan 14, 2004
  2. gnome

gnome

OK, I've got a question for you... (not trying to be a smarty-pants). When you select your BIOS to recognize the 2nd HD as backup when it is "installed", doesn't XP assign it as "Drive D:", and wouldn't you then be unable to boot from it if you had to?

#52     Jan 14, 2004
  3. Luto

Luto

GA Trader,

Yep that is roughly it.

When you select a drive, see if you can get one with a free controller card. Sometimes they throw one in. Also bigger is not always better. For a main drive I use 40-80Gb drives which are plenty. Then I put extra $$ into another drive.

You might go for Norton Ghost or DriveImage so you can create back up images and be done with this chore for awhile.

Cheers :D

#53     Jan 14, 2004
  4. Luto

Luto

In XP

Go to Control Pannel
    Change to Classic View
    Select Computer Administration
    Select Computer Management
    Select Disk Management

This allows you to tweak the drive letters and see status, do formats etc.

#54     Jan 14, 2004
  5. Went to admin tools-->computer mgt -->application and got a lot of this same message.

WMI ADAP was unable to retrieve data from the PerfLib subkey: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TALIPC04\Performance\Library, error code: 0x80041009

Any idea how to solve this?

Also more important, if I get the Windows 2000 Install CD, it there not a choice there to repair instead of re-install. This way I can clean-up/fix only broken things instead of getting a new drive. Thanks again

#55     Jan 14, 2004
  6. Luto

Luto

GATrader

The error you got is complaining about a registry key missing or invalid. Unless one knows what the values should be, it is hard to fix. Usually they are set at SETUP time and then programatically adjusted through the UI or directly by the program that uses them .

As for the Win2000 setup. I am not sure. Usually there is always a choice to repair, reinstall, or an install from scratch.

Cheers

#56     Jan 14, 2004
  7. Roscoe

Roscoe

I went with XactCopy from www.DuoCor.com - this app puts a bootable image a second HDD that cannot be 'seen' by the OS. Update is manual and/or scheduled. My practice is to check for adware/virii/trojans etc before the daily backup.

When one of my Maxtors died a few months ago (it cooked itself) XactCopy just booted right off the backup, very clean - just a simple message box saying that the primary drive was no longer being used and a polite suggestion that I address the problem quickly.

As others have said, drives are cheap. I took the demise of my Maxtor as a sign and got two new Seagate Barracuda's - they are much quieter drives anyway.

I burn a CD once a month as additional cover - I should store them offsite I know.

#57     Jan 14, 2004
  8. simsim

simsim

Try applying the latest service pack for windows 2000. If the Registry key that is missing is related to windows 2000 then it will get the error fixed.

#58     Jan 14, 2004
  9. simsim

simsim

To improve the performance. (windows 2000)

Delete all the files with the extension of .tmp in the folder winnt\temp on windows 2000.

In the internet explorer go to Tools\internet options and thee
    click on Delete files , next click on delete cookies (make sure that u remember the passwords for the sites u use). (do this as part of your regular monthly maintenance.

CDRW is damm cheap now. so always keep a backup of your following files/folders at the minimum.

Folders: (windows 2000)
    Documents and settings
    My Documents

Your own defined folders and files.

Pl note that by copying the folder Document and Settings and sub folders in it you are also making copy of all your Outlook mail and windows address book.

You can delete the .tmp files found in the "documents and settings" sub folders.

Always make the backup after deleting the cookies and emptying the Temporary Internet files, as they also ocupy space under the " documents and settings" folder.

More tips later as they popup in my kitchen.

Simsim

#59     Jan 14, 2004
  10. How did you set up the three drives i.e. what is master and what is slave on each IDE channel? Also, what is your OS?

Thanks.

#60     Jan 15, 2004