Computer help please...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peri, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Peri

Peri

Ok, so the computer has been acting up. Runs fine then just goes off. I took the sides off the other day and blew out all the junk, some hiding where I've never been before. Hoped that would fix it. Ran ok for 2-3 days then just went off again. It fires right back up but I have no idea what might be causing this. Don't want to replace the whole thing right now as it is fine for my needs and I have too much else in the air right now. It was custom done for me a few years back ( I know, I know it's old and needs replacing) but I have very little computer insides knowledge. I do have other computers but want to keep this one going a bit longer if possible. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Google speedfan.

Download it and find out how hot your pc is running. It could be that you need to cool it better.

3. You might pull out and reseat you memory and cpu. This has helped in on the past.

4. Mine does that every time that I make it sleep and then turn it back on. Then after a few minutes to a half hour the screen goes blank. After sleep instruction, I have to hit restart and then it stays on. Hope this helps.

5. Peri

Peri

Never put it in sleep mode.

I did run the speed fan but have no idea what I'm looking at. There are 5 fans, 2 front, 2 back, 1 on the monitor card. The Readings display for speedfan says Fan 1 is 344 RPM Fan 2 and 3 say 0 RPM but they are moving. There is one "flaming" temp...temp3 says 69C. I'm lost ??????? Thanks for the replys

6. Peri

Peri

That should be 3444 RPM on fan 1..

7. You might try reseating all connectors and circuit boards.

8. I have a machine that goes off once in a while, and the connector to the hard drive sometimes comes "loose". I just pull it out and reset it and it runs fine. Check all the connectors.

Your power supply might be going out as well!

9. bidask

bidask

did you recently install new ram? if yes, it's very likely that the ram you bought isn't compatible.

10. Peri

Peri

Have not installed anything new. Will check all connections this weekend. Gonna try running it today with broker on laptop instead. Hate using laptop. Thanks for the ideas. Owe you all a brewski.

#10     Dec 5, 2008