Computer has mind of its own

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cache Landing, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I'd ordered another PSU but it won't be here until tomorrow. Minor cost, so it wasn't a big deal to get a new one.

#51     Apr 12, 2007
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

#52     Apr 12, 2007
  3. In reading through those threads it would seem that a lot of us have one thing in common. A burnt out Maxtor HD. Wished I would've found that thread when ordering my components the first time. Oh well... I didn't get a maxtor this time.

Gonna reinstall the old HD as a non-bootable slave first to see if I can get it going enough to pull the wife's pictures, then maybe take it to the local data recovery shop.

#53     Apr 12, 2007
  4. Unbelievable...

A guy who has no IT vulnerability and trying to trade....

Is this the early 20th century? Mind as well try calling a broker to fill an order.

#54     Apr 12, 2007
  5. What are you trying to say? I don't follow.

#55     Apr 12, 2007
  6. We have a winner!!!!!!

Even with new HD the problem persisted albeit much less frequently.

Replaced the PSU and everything perfect now.

#56     Apr 18, 2007
  7. GTS

GTS

Shhhhhh....don't jinx yourself by saying that. :)

#57     Apr 18, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

For future reference... a seemingly insignificant part is the CPU cooling fan. When they age they may run at slower RPMs... this allows the CPU to run hotter and can cause a variety of problems which seem inconsistent and sometimes hard to pin down. Erratic power from the PSU can cause similar symptoms. A quality PSU is vital to having a reliable computer.

#58     Apr 18, 2007
  9. chisel

chisel

Check out SpinRite at www.grc.com. $89

#59     Apr 18, 2007
  10. GTS

GTS

Ugh...please don't! Much better file recovery software out there. Ontrack Easy Recovery for starters.

Cache Landing, were you able to install the old HD as a slave and read it ok?

#60     Apr 18, 2007