Computer has mind of its own

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cache Landing, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Thanks for the help everyone. That's what I love about ET. We have just enough techies around to get a thorough analysis in a timely manner.

So far I've got...

Malware--This might have been the case before but now that I've got a new HD it is cured by default.
    Degraded Software--New installation of the OS and all other programs.
    Bad Memory--Checked this and everything is OK
    Bad HD--the likely culprit, but unfortunately I didn't get enough time to remedy the situation.
    Bad MOBO--Runs great with good HD.
    Bad Fans/overheating--ASUS probe constantly monitors my temps, but anyway the stock Intel CPU fan was getting a little tiresome with a faint hum, so I got a thermaltake fan/heatsink today.
    Overclocked CPU-- Checked for that already. I don't believe in overclocking CPUs. Not worth the risk or time for minimal difference.
    Incompatiblity--Probably not the case since the comp ran for 1 1/2 years flawlessly.

Cost for a new equivalent system--- about $1500

Cost to fix the old one--- $90

Being able to fix my own computer without sending it into a Dell service shop--- PRICELESS

#41     Apr 11, 2007
  2. nkhoi

nkhoi

it really takes a ET village to fix your computer :p

#42     Apr 11, 2007
  3. I had the same problem as the original poster. On the Task list it turned out to be a virus (showed up on a scan). Virus file was running all the time , similar in name to legitimate process lsass.exe

#43     Apr 11, 2007
  4. lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies

Are you sure it was a virus?

#44     Apr 11, 2007
  5. That comment was a bit facetious. I would've figured it out either way, but it is always nice to hear a few others that have had the same situation so I don't waste a bunch of time.

In total I spent about 2 hours to determine and fix the problem.

#45     Apr 11, 2007
  6. gnome

gnome

Your old hard drive might still be OK... likely it had just been corrupted with schmutz. You could use it as a backup of some sorts with Acronis True Image or Casper XP 4.0. (Some of us have LOTS of backup... some ETers have none.)

#46     Apr 11, 2007
  7. Another day, another job well done.

ET is IT. :D

#47     Apr 11, 2007
  8. siki13

siki13

I still have a hunch your problem is weak PSU and new HD is not going to solve anything
    Well if you dont find any problems
    for next 30 days i was wrong

#48     Apr 12, 2007
  9. Can't even get the computer to recognize that HD. Anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve some of the files. My iwfe is mad that her pictures that hadn't been burned to disk are lost.

#49     Apr 12, 2007
  10. Take it to computer store, they have software to recover off of a HD. It might cost, but memories are priceless.

#50     Apr 12, 2007