Computer has mind of its own

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cache Landing, Apr 9, 2007.

1. well, seems like turning off the auto restart on blue screen errors has prevented the shutdown. Now I just have to fix the part of the system that is causing the errors.

#21     Apr 10, 2007
  2. I need another drive anyway as this one is getting full of graphics design and art stuff. When I get it I will take you advice, thanks.

#22     Apr 10, 2007
  3. GTS

GTS

So is it now staying on the blue screen? If so the blue screen has valuable information that can point to the source of the problem - just write down all the information you see, especially the "number of error (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter) name of error" part and then google for it on the internet.

#23     Apr 11, 2007
  4. gnome

gnome

After you've gone to the effort of doing a fresh install, you might want to consider backup/imaging. Such a program and routine can save you tons of time in the future and mostly isolate you from the kind of problem you're having now. Suggest Acronis True Image and Casper XP 4.0 as the class acts.

#24     Apr 11, 2007
  5. Anyone want to make a suggestion as to the best spyware/adware scanners?

#25     Apr 11, 2007
  6. Thanks for the info. :D

#26     Apr 11, 2007
  7. #27     Apr 11, 2007
  8. RL8093

RL8093

I used several of these for a month - settled on Spybot S & D. If I used it 1st, none of the others found anything at all. If I used any of the others 1st, Spybot S & D typically found something that they missed.

In addition, you need to have an auto-updating virus scanner. The days of being safe unless you open an email attachment are gone. If your computer is open to the internet & unprotected - you will get infected.

#28     Apr 11, 2007
  9. Buy a new computer. Simple.

RoughTrader

#29     Apr 11, 2007
  10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

Please see my advice on Spyware scanning and removal at:
    http://www.hingefirescreen.com/spyware_advice.htm

From your description of this situation so far, it seems more likely that you are having hardware issues with the motherboard, memory, or fans. Have you attempted to reseat all of the cards installed in your system? Have you run any PC diagnostic tools from third party companies like Norton?

- Greg B.

#30     Apr 11, 2007