Computer for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by listedguru, Nov 11, 2013.

1. I am looking to replace a 5 year old Dell Vostro that I currently use for trading. It has an Intel E8300 processor (2.83ghz). I don't need anything fancy for my trading but I want to find something with Windows 7 on it. Also it must be able to run (2) monitors.

Any suggestions as to what would be a good replacement for me? Another Dell? Maybe a refurb?

Thanks,

-Guru

2. You've traded on a Vostro for 5 years? Good for you. I had 2 of them.

What's your budget?

3. Yes I've been trading on my Vostro for the last 5 years (LOL). The cheaper the better for the budget (LOL). I really don't need a fancy Dell precision workstation.

Any ideas?

-Guru

4. Vostro is a bargain value computer.... just like Inspiron. You can literally buy ANYTHING today and it will surpass your Vostro 20:1, 50:1? or more.

Do you want to buy new and get a warranty or used to save money? You looking to spend $200? $500? More?

5. I could go either way (new or used). I really don't see any reason for me to spend more than $500. I don't think my Vostro cost that much back in the day. And like you said anything I get thats more modern will certainly surpass this Vostro.

My biggest thing is being able to run dual monitors. I remember when I looked around before most computers had on board graphics cards that would only run one monitor.

-Guru

6. Buy any computer today and it will have at least 1, PCIEx16 slot. Get a dual-port video card to run 2 monitors. (You could put a dual video card in your Vostro and try it.) Sky is the limit on video cards... <$20 to $500+. However, most $20 video cards will be enough for trading unless you have especially hi res monitors.

You could get some Inspiron from Dell's outlet site and get the same warranty as new while saving a couple of $hundred.

7. I currently run a dual monitor setup in my vostro. I am going to take a look at the Inspirons and see what I can find. So even if it says it's got onboard video as long as it has a PCIEx16 slot I could add a card and run dual monitors?

Thanks,

-Guru

8. Are you able to run 2 monitors on Vostro without a dedicated video card?

And yes. Instead of onboard video, you use a dedicated video card with 2-4 ports.

All modern computers have at least 1, PCIEx16 slot for a video card.

9. It's been a long time but I seem to remember ordering a special dedicated video card for my vostro back in the day. I have no idea what card is in it though (LOL).

Maybe their will be some decent black fridays deals at the dell outlet.

-Guru

10. Most video cards today can run 2 monitors.

Good, cheap ones for trading... Nvidia Quadro NVS 300 on eBay. It uses a DMS-59 cable... a dongle which looks like a splitter... if you don't already have be sure the card you buy comes with the cable. These cards are good because they are passively cooled and support 2560x1600 res, but just about any general card with 2, DVI ports will work just fine.

Here's a new one for $36, shipping included. Sometimes they are a bit cheaper..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PNY-NVIDIA-...446?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4acba22686

#10     Nov 12, 2013