Computer Crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by merlendale, Nov 18, 2008.

1. I wanted to get some input/thoughts on my computer.

Computer is 16 months old. No problems until now. If this helps:
    - Asus P5N32-E motherboard
    - Intel core 2 duo E6850 (3.0 ghz)
    - Kingston HyperX DDR2-800 1024MB (4)
    - GeForce 8600GT 256MB (2)

About a week ago a virus took my computer down. My tech tried to remove the virus, but crashes continued. He then did a system restore - re-loaded all of the software. Crashes continue, and seem to occur when I'm running several apps at same time (for example today: Ninja, ESignal, IB, Hotcomm, Optionvue). Any thoughts on root causes?

2. try malwarebyes, i've had good luck with it

as a last resort, you can always get a new harddrive and rebuild from there

3. Thanks - failed to mention that I also replaced the hard drive with the system restore.

4. Tums

Tums

check the memory and timing.
    There are lots of tweaks you can do to an Asus board.

5. You need to specify what you mean by "crash". A software or hardware crash?

Is it the "blue screen of death"? Is it the computer shutting itself down?

Hardware crashes can result from a number of causes such as bad power supply, dust blocking the CPU cooling fan or cooler, bad memory or bad motherboard.

You can only isolate hardware problems if you have spare parts to swap in and out.

6. bespoke

bespoke

bad cpu fan causing overheat of CPU?

you should be able to monitor temps with that mobo

7. Since I haven't experienced this before I'm not sure if it's hardware or software now. I suspect it's hardware since the harddrive is new and windows reloaded. When it crashes now it just shuts down - no warning - and then re-boots. The computer will also "freeze" in the middle of an application. The only way out is to shut it down and reboot. Can hardware be tested for problems - or throw in the towel? Thanks for your replies.

8. bespoke

bespoke

that's what happens when my cpu overheats or is unstable from overclocking

first i'd have someone look at the cpu fan to make sure cpu temp is low, fan speed is proper, and its connected properly with enough thermal paste

your asus board should have come with software to let you monitor temperature. or else you can look in the BIOS to see cpu fan speed and temp although that doesnt really show you how hot it can get when its doing a load

9. Have you checked how much ram is being used by all those apps + OS? 1Gb might be flat out.

Ram might be faulty?

Take case off and set a fan beside the PC to see if it's a cooling issue.

How did you know it was a virus? Did you have antivirus?

Do you run antivirus and antispyware?

Check all applications running to see if there is unwanted programmes running - try Security Task Manager.

If all that is clean then you need to swap components.

10. gnome

gnome

This statement is not clear. Did you do a "fresh install" including formatting the new hard drive or something else?

#10     Nov 18, 2008