Computer 2 Monitors and DVD drive questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Handsome, Dec 3, 2006.

1. I am confused if my Dell Dimension can support 2 monitors. I am also confused if I should have had a CD drive as part of my Dual Drives instead of it looks like I have 2 DVD drives..

Can anyone here tell from the following I am taking right off the original spec sheet for my computer?. And also, what does TV Out mean? ( my computer is 2 years old)

Video Cards:

128 MB PCI Express X 16
    (DVI/VGA/TV-Out)
    ATI Radeon X 300 SE

Sound Card:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (D) Card
    w/Dolby 5.1 and IEEE 1394

CD or DVD Drive:

Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive+ 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

2. hcour

hcour Guest

You have 2 dvd drives, they will both play cd's and one will write (record) to cd's and dvd's.

TV-out means you have an S-video port that will connect to your tv. Not sure if you can connect 2 monitors, check the ports on the back of the card. Besides the TV-Out, there will either be 1 or 2 more ports. If there are 2, they will probably be one DVI port (for LCD monitor) and one D-sub port (for CRT or LCD monitor).

H

3. Thanks for helping me H. and for explaining to me the DVD drives.

And I looked at the back of my computer and I see:

VGA Video Connector

then next to that is:

TV Out Connector

then next to that is:

DVI Video Connector

So I am assuming I can also add another monitor to the one I have now OR run the TV out and have then the current monitor I have now in addition to seeing stuff on TV.

So I guess I can run 2 monitors. Or 1 monitor (the one I am using now) and 1 TV

I have no knowledge of technical computer stuff..but I do watch DVD movies on my computer and they look good to me...Would you or anyone else know if I used that TV Out connection to my TV, would the DVD movies I now watch on my computer look as good on my TV?

And finally, does my video card seem like a decent one or would anyone suggest upgrading it? I am not a gamer but do watch DVD's on my computer and they look good to me now.

Thanks!

4. Tums

Tums

5. Thanks a lot for that link Tums!
    I sure appreciate it!

6. I have a similar ATI card this machine uses
    You can actually sorta use 3 monitors off it.

-VGA Connector to a lcd
    -DVI Connector to an lcd (if your other monitor isn't DVI you can get a DVI to VGA adapter at any local computer store for about $10)
    -TV Out Connector to a TV. However the TV resolution is of such poor quality that I usually stick only one big chart on it.