Complex (Multi-Leg) Positions in TWS

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by andrew black, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Is there a way to manually create a Complex (Multi-Leg) Positions in TWS? The kind of position would be automatically created, as example, when selling a covered call as a multi-leg strategy.

Example: I have 100 SPY and -1 SPY 20210115 380 Call positions, both open as individual orders. I would like to see them as covered call Complex (Multi-Leg) Positions in TWS, one single line.

TIA.

2. guru

guru

No, not possible, unless you combine them before making a trade.

3. cesfx

cesfx

Years ago I did manage to create a few by using the combo window function and adding individual legs that I already had in portfolio, I don't remember if I have tried adding stock legs.

It worked a few times, some other times it didn't work and I stopped trying and just using memory or notes instead. Couldn't find the youtube video where I've got that from.

4. guru

guru

Some time ago I’ve discussed this topic with someone on Facebook who claimed that he’s done it, but he also couldn’t prove it. So it’s a nice theory but doesn’t help without a proof.
    I also discussed this with IB support and they simply said that such feature doesn’t exist.
    But, I do end up creating such custom combos and saving them in a watchlist for tracking purposes. Sometimes this seems to work properly and shows my existing positions/qty when my original order was already setup that way, while there are times when IB messes my combos up and splits them apart while creating other combinations that I didn’t trade, so that’s a bug.

If there is some way to “trick” IB system to create custom combos matching my individual legs then I’d like to see the proof.

cesfx and ffs1001 like this.
  5. cesfx

cesfx

In that case, it was probably a copy of the trades that I was adding, and it worked better with just options in the combo. I also remember those combo often disappeared after restart, so most probably just a copy of the strategy.
    I am now entering them as one, using memory, header or dedicated tabs on classic tws.

guru likes this.