Completely New eSignal

Discussion in 'Events' started by FaithTrader, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Samsara

Samsara

It's basically my entire strategy. Calls a set of symbols (max eSignal allows is 7, but that's not ideal, so I'm just now trying to test if I can concatenate a few to call up in arrays via efsexternal), turns them into various oscillators, and then I run them through a maze of if statements with a few calls to other studies to define entry, add and exit. Endless if statements that probably could be cleaned up if I were less lazy. Also paints everything on the chart.

The rest of my scripts assist in visualizing what's going on, like monitoring bid/ask pressure real time, so I can frontrun my own signals and throw money away for absolutely no reason. This is why full auto would be nice.

I probably should have invested more time in putting the entry/exit criteria themselves into efsexternal callable scripts, but it works fine as it is. Hopefully Kinetick has the same scope and Ninja can layer studies as well as efs2.

#21     Jan 6, 2011
  2. It's a spell-check script. He could license you a copy if you'd like.

#22     Jan 6, 2011
  3. Thanks. That should give the oscillator crowd some encouragement. All my trade stuff is purely statistically-based, but like you, I cannot resist cluttering up my screen with studies that tempt me to outsmart my own systems. I just love all kinds of market internals and support and resistance.

Depending on the rate at which you chart, you might try getting more symbols by charting all the ones you want on separate windows, or calling them in separate studies in one window, and using the set- and get-global value functions to call them into your grand-and-glorious mess code.

#23     Jan 6, 2011
  4. Samsara

Samsara

Serves me well: a few simple, nontraditional oscillators. I imagine pure statistics-based trading could allow the deepest levels of drill down and testing. Someday it'd be great to get to that point. Do you export anything to a SQL database or use R?

Set and get global value functions, not familiar -- are they calling charted series data while operating within a script? I basically need to run their values through standard math stored procedures and compare them to each other to create the main study. Pretty simple stuff, just annoying I can't call more than 7 right in the efs itself. Not sure how charting those symbols would allow them to be called in a script elsewhere. I'll have to look that up -- many thanks.

#24     Jan 6, 2011
  5. emg

emg

i didnt realize there are so many esignal haters

#25     Jan 6, 2011
  6. May be making a bigger than usual ass of myself, but I thought the symbol limit was in a single efs script. If so, one way around it is to have as many studies like this as you want, each with seven calls:

var eurothedollar;//etc
    function preMain() {setComputeOnClose(true);}
    function main()
    {
    eurothedollar=close("6e #f");//etc
    setGlobalValue("eurothedollar",eurothedollar);//etc
    return;
    }

and use getGlobalValue to snag them all in one script. Or you could use setPriceStudy(true) to hide them. But I might be wrong, maybe you can't call more than seven, period, in one window.

#26     Jan 6, 2011
  7. It's more like my relationship with my ex: love/hate. Hang around a woman (or a software) long enough, and even her most minor idiosyncracies drive you nuts.

#27     Jan 6, 2011
  8. Samsara

Samsara

Thank you kindly, miss. I'll give this a whirl.

#28     Jan 6, 2011
  9. Remember if you set compute on close that the global values will set on close and be retrieved on the open of the new bar, which may be a problem. When I use them I make compute on close false.

BTW. don't waste your time fucking with version 11. It is sooooo not ready for prime time.

#29     Jan 6, 2011
  10. Why wasn't the Data Manager updated to 64bit with the rest of the program?

#30     Jan 15, 2011