Completely New eSignal

Discussion in 'Events' started by FaithTrader, Jan 5, 2011.

1. joe4422

joe4422

For most purposes, IB's data is better than E signal's as well. I always leave IB charts running just to double check that E signal isn't screwing up, like it tends to do.

#11     Jan 5, 2011
  2. Interesting, but I didn't find that to be the case the last time I bothered to check it. I do observe that IB's clock is sometimes off relative to EasySignal's, like this AM IB was slow by a second.

#12     Jan 6, 2011
  3. Samsara

Samsara

IB's data is more timely, but it's a snapshot. eSignal freezes all the time for me during high volume blasts (likely due to inefficient coding of my scripts on my part), so I agree it helps to keep IB's charts up in the background. But I'm not sure if I could trust the studies I have to operate properly with IB's data.

I'm looking forward to spending some time learning NinjaTrader in the hopes of re-coding my strategy and eventually migrating. eSignal is a good product, but over time it's become clear that these are monopolistic competitive products, and my laziness and time investment in eSignal no longer justifies the expense.

#13     Jan 6, 2011
  4. Please keep us apprised of your effort to migrate. I have been with EasySignal for over ten years and I, too, have a huge disvestment in EFS scripts which I am reluctant to tackle converting. Apart from that, I would gladly move to a platform that offered autotrading through IB.

#14     Jan 6, 2011
  5. DTN.IQ has the best BID/ASK data for tracking Cumulative Delta by far (and up to 30 days historical BID/ASK data availability.....:cool: ).

I keep scratching my head why Esignal BID/ASK data is not very good??? You guys have "ticker plants" right??? :confused:

#15     Jan 6, 2011
  6. Samsara

Samsara

Will do. My biggest obstacle in everything is inertia and boneheaded laziness. Re-translating all of this javascript is a huge headache, but learning a new skill keeps the brain sharp. Plus you actually opened my eyes to new eSignal capabilities I didn't know about, so maybe I can return the favor down the road.

That said, I read on the SleazySignal boards that their development team is going to start working on full broker integration starting this year. If the inertia monster gets you, at least you might have autotrading within a year or so.

#16     Jan 6, 2011
  7. Thanks. I, and I am sure others here, would also be interested to see how well any transition works with respect to execution speed. I run 33 scripts, eight of them on a one-second chart, with many hundreds of lines of code, so I know whereof ye spake about high volume slowdowns. The flash crash was fun.

Re autotrading, I was unimpressed with their initial efforts at IB integration, and they had problems with the most recent release. And I find that the integrated trading has a noticeable latency. We'll see. Re opening your eyes to capabilities, I wish that I could learn EVERYTHING it can do, but the documentation is nearly worthless. I approach learning any new capability with dread. It's like trying to read a Java manual. Who gives a shit about the formal structure? Just show me how to use it!

#17     Jan 6, 2011
  8. Agreed. I can't remember when the last time was. IB, on the other hand...not enough fingers and toes. Have add my nose and my dick. Strangely, it never goes down when I'm not in a trade.

#18     Jan 6, 2011
  9. Samsara

Samsara

Sweet cheeses, 33 scripts w/ 8 on a 1 min?! I can feel your pain. I could see how EZSignal's got you, but you clearly know what you're doing. I have let's see... a total of 7, all but two run on a load of charts, with the main efs being a fatass resource hog with 600+ lines of code.

There are some learners who take to this stuff naturally: the kind that were engineers by trade and kept their own backtesting dbs for 20 years. That's not me -- I'm a right brained guy who goes by intuition and learns tools by using them, and really hate learning a new language from the ground up. BUT, the pleasure of getting it right at lower cost and being full auto would make it all worth it. If I get that far, I'll comment on the relative speed differences in small time frames.

I have no experience with their previous broker integration tools and the recent release. You're probably more aware of the developments than me with more reason to doubt then. I'll keep my optimistic laziness in check and start studying.

#19     Jan 6, 2011
  10. I look forward to reading of your madventures. Please leave a breadcrumb trail.

P.S.: 600 lines? That's heavy. My largest is only 300, and I thought it was complexicated. Can you say roughly what that's doing for you, if it's not properiotary?

#20     Jan 6, 2011