compartmentalizing investments

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by stockmarketbeginner, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Hello,

Does anybody here put different categories of investments into different accounts? I kind of like the idea of partitioning different stuff into different accounts. Some stocks I want to take small speculative positions on, but I don't want to have to look at 30 extra stocks on my main screen. So I could put those in a separate account and check in on them once in a while.

It's kind of like each account would serve a different functional purpose. It creates more logins and stuff. But the idea appeals to me.

2. aldrums

aldrums

Opening brokerage accounts is akin to a form of torture. How about just separating the stocks on your screen?

3. As a full-time options trader, I have 9 sub accounts on my IB platform. I initially did this to better understand the performance of each of my different strategies and track the equity curve separately. This way, I could "reinvest" back into the appropriate account.

Today, the strategy based sub-accounts have morphed into compartmentalizing for managed funds.

If you're a beginner, I would suggest one sub-account for index and index options and another for stocks.

aldrums and tommcginnis like this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Just had to chime in: "Very Smart!!" (in my well-considered opinion...).