Comparison of Portfolio Trading and Testing Platforms?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tickzoom, Jun 24, 2009.

1. fundjunkie,

These are excellent assessments. A CEO of MultiCharts and I discussed this same issue this morning by phone.

We agree that we want to the chart to make all these issues that you mention very clear.

A new version is under development which will make the following clear:

1. Target markets/focus of development for each platform. To show the contrast between non-programmer systems like Multi-Charts and programmer oriented systems like TickZOOM, NeoTicketer, Ninja, etc.

2. Data types supported (that makes EOD-only clear) but we must include Trading Blox because it comes up for any searches on portfolio systems and is a FAQ for comparison to TickZOOM.

3. Languages supported. This will make clear the difference in levels of EasyLanguage support which favors MultiCharts. Plus it will list the primary languages of other systems like C# and their level of support for converting or translating from EasyLanguage.

4. TradersStudio was added also. I hope to have a new chart up today.

5. The new chart will eliminate most of the others platforms without either portfolio support or significant market share unless someone recommends adding them back in this thread.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#11     Jun 26, 2009
  2. Understood. After this chart is accurate and clear, the plan is to drill down into each feature by having links to click with pages that discuss the "how" comparison.

Here's an example of a "how" comparison between TickZOOM and MultiCharts that the chart needs to make clear.

TickZOOM is for traders who either have some programming skills or can afford to hire a programmer. And TZ only supports total trade automation of portfolios without any discretionary type features whatsoever. In fact, TickZOOM has very little focus on GUI features since programmers prefer the power and flexibility of the API.

In contrast, for non-programmers who want to automate their trading, they will, for example, enjoy the MultiCharts environment better. (which I have also used).

That's because of the elegant GUI support and EasyLanguage support and extensions in MultiCharts. I have used it and say this first hand.

On the other hand, programmers will immediately love all the niceties in TickZOOM that cater to their abilities and simplify many tasks. Especially the open source platform (except the data engine which is commercial open source) and the ability to run the entire system in a debugger, EasyLanguage-like features added to C# and automated testing.

Eventually, we hope the chart will make the "how" as clear as the "what" so it's clear the difference between the tools.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#12     Jun 26, 2009
  3. Okay.

There's a new and improved comparison chart. Actually 2 charts now.

http://www.tickzoom.com/wiki/TickZoom/Comparison

It better shows the difference in target market for programmer vs. non-programmer and institutional.

Hmm, we also need to put pricing on these charts, don't we?

Well that will be in the next version.

Any other suggestions, corrections?

Does this layout better compare the relevant platforms?

#13     Jun 26, 2009
  4. Hey, fundjunkie,

Can you look at the new comparison and send the yes/no answers for TradersStudio, I never used it.

The new chart is more detailed and gets more into the "how" that you discussed. But, again, separate pages will delve into that more.

Wayne

#14     Jun 26, 2009
  5. Hi,
    If Someone from Tradersstudio doesn't show up then I'l have a stab at it. However, as I don't use all of the product's features I can't claim to be an expert.

In the meantime, could you describe the architecture of tickzoom? Saying a product is open source and designed for programmers can hide a multitude of sins. And I'd also appreciate it if you could compare and contrast it with Quant Developer which I consider to be the benchmark for retail programmatic trading platforms (although now purchased by Quant House).

Thx
    D

#15     Jun 26, 2009
  6. Few corrections for neoticker:

I don't know what you mean with 'portfolio trader', but you can trade multiple symbols and multiple systems at the same time.

You can also import tick data (trade and top-of-the-book bid/ask data). Problematic is that for a tick-level backtest the entire dataset has to be loaded into memory first - that is something tickzoom does better.

It is also provider-agnostic, they provide an open interface spec for data and broker services. I'm rolling my own.

Also, i think you should include Quantfactory and Rightedge in your matrix, imo these 2 products are the closest to your project. Especially the quanthouse suite is very similar to your project, you can also purchase the sourcecode, but the price is in another dimension.

#16     Jun 26, 2009
  7. B.Willis

B.Willis

Maybe "max. number of symbols for portfolio testing".
    Only a few platforms do unlimited symbols.
    Multicharts is limited to 100 symbols (unlimited only with the expensive "PRO" version).

#17     Jun 26, 2009
  8. Portfolio trading means whats in the feature list below that chart. It means someone running many strategies but running the position sizing, risk, and money management based on the combined equity curve of all of them in the whole broker account.

Thanks I'm fixing that. I formerly used NeoTicker and you're right. That was a typo. But you're also right about it's performance challenges.

Once again, you're right. It was a typo and will be uploaded shortly with the corrections.

I'll be happy to do so, just like TradersStudio, but never used them myself so someone who was a user or the vendor needs to step forward and fill in the blanks.

#18     Jun 26, 2009
  9. Yes. Good point. We're considering how to do a price comparison.

My thought is to show a chart with the highest and lowest entry price for each product. And a few rows of the different ways vendors separate the features between the price levels.

Sincerely,
    Wayne

#19     Jun 26, 2009
  10. BTW, I was told by a TickZOOM user who formerly used NeoTicker that it does allow portfolio trading simply that you have to do a lot of coding to set it up to do so. But we're giving it a nod because it is at least possible.

Others with a No are built in such a way that it's relatively impossible to get the combined information between strategies and communicate it between them to get true portfolio level intelligence.

Wayne

#20     Jun 26, 2009