Comparing the Great Depression to today

Discussion in 'Economics' started by monty21, Jun 9, 2009.

1. 10% in equities.

OTC derivatives you can have as much as 30:1 leverage. Plus there is far less liquidity in the OTC mkt as compared to the stock market.

We can be in the early stages of a depression.

#11     Jun 9, 2009
  2. Well said. The money supply is out of control. Capital exists, but what happens when it becomes gradually worthless.

If anyone is interested in the Austrian school of economics, this is a great source:

http://mises.org/

It tackles a lot of issues on the money supply, the free-market and gold.

#12     Jun 9, 2009
  3. I'm unsure of the rationale behind the high inflation = higher equity prices, too. 1974-1981 saw the highest inflation rate since before the Great Depression and I see no pattern in the Dow that supports the "stocks will go up with inflation" theory. If anything, there was extreme volatility with stocks crashing from '74 to '75 and again '77 to '78.

The same holds true for extremely low inflation. Stocks didn't crash, they tended to rise.

Of course it's difficult to compare today with any other period in history, with the government tossing around so much money and all. Logically all that cash has to go somewhere. Will it float the stock market? It's hard to say and I'm sure behind closed doors economists with PhDs can't agree on what will happen in the next five to ten years.

#13     Jun 9, 2009
  4. Thanks for posting. One of the few remaining gems here.

#14     Jun 9, 2009
  5. I think the rise in commodity stocks is a testimony of the potential rise in inflation.

http://www.schaeffersresearch.com/streetools/centers/commodities/commod_quick_analysis.aspx

#15     Jun 9, 2009
  6. I see your point with commodity stocks and I agree inflation is a real danger. But I'm still on the fence with inflation increasing the nominal value of the broader market. Right now I see high inflation as a one step forward, one step backwards scenario with the market.

It's a tough issue to prove or disprove. During the '74-'82 inflationary period (there was a three year period where inflation averaged over 12% annually), the market was basically flat with a 2% gain. One could argue inflation had little overall effect on the market or one could argue the market would have been down 50% over that period without the effects of inflation on equities.

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Rate/HistoricalInflation.aspx?dsInflation_currentPage=2

#16     Jun 9, 2009
  7. if past history repeats... the market bottom is within three years of the peak... and then post crash consolidation.

#17     Jun 9, 2009
  8. Inflation in itself is bullish for share prices. What mitigates said bullishness is the normal accompaniment of higher interest rates along with higher inflation. The reason you see asset explosions on the first signs of slowing price growth is because that's when rates are collapsing.

Here's a simple example. We'll use real estate.

Rental income: $12,000
    Price: $200,000
    Rates:5%

Would you pay 10k a year in interest to pick up 12k in earnings? All day, right?

Now let's put inflation in the mix.

Rental Income: $15,000
    Rates: 10%

Now attractive is a 200k purchase? Suddenly carry charges are 20k a year so you'd be a net loser even with the increase in rental income. The same property would need trade $130,000 for you to receive the same return at a 10% vig as you made borrowing 200k at 5%.

If rates stayed constant at 5% then the inflationary rent increase would cause the resale price to auction higher.

#18     Jun 9, 2009
  9. Houses back there were still pretty much set up in a preindustrial way. Meaning that houses were closer together and you didnt have to walk as far to get to a store. Those Hobos could easily hit up a 500-1000 houses and get lucky. Now houses are more spaced apart so they are lucky to get 50-100 houses in a day . Also, alot of us are in gated communities which would shield us from that sort of thing. I actually still get some knocks on my door(front door of course as they would get shot if they came to my back door LOL) of people asking me to buy stuff. (Cleaning products, security systems, or my favorite... COUPONS!) Yeah people come to my door trying to sell me coupons to stores for something like 20 or 40 bucks telling me i can save 1500 bucks on all these businesses.

#19     Jun 9, 2009
  10. Most hobos where I live don't need to work. The rest of the working class hobos have credit cards and can use debt to delay knocking on my door.

#20     Jun 9, 2009